NOVICE LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE

/ NOVICE LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE #1  

inveresk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case CX31B ZTS
I've jsut bought 11 acres, 6 in woodland with the remainder in meadow and orchards. The place is pretty run down and I hope to break a couple of acres of the woodland, build a barn, renovate a cottage and move and remodel a house. I've been looking at tractors that might be suitable but have no idea of appropriate size, bearing in mind the tasks I have to undertake. Following the initial heavy work, the tractor will be on pretty light duty with the exception of some occasional ploughing so I don't want to get something too big that will then be underused. I've a chance at a Case 245, 21hp. Is this size of tractor likelly to be big enough? If not, what should I look for?

/ NOVICE LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE #2  
Sounds like you could go anywhere in mid 20 hp to mid 30 hp... say.. 24-33 hp.. etc and be safe. That will put up in the range of 5-6' implements.. Hp depending..e tc.

You might not want to go too wide.. say.. 30hp and 5' mower for orchards..e tc..

That also gets you into a 2-bottom plow.. etc.

Soundguy

/ NOVICE LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE
Thanks, Soundguy. I had a look at the Case yesterday and decided it is way too small for the wood clearing I have to do. I've upped my preferred hp to somewhere in the 45-50 range and have begun a hunt for good used tractors that will suit. BC isn't a big farming province so good used machines are few and far between.

/ NOVICE LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE #4  
Keep in mind that 45-50 hp is right on the edge of cat 1 / cat 2 specs.. I.e. large cat 1, small cat 2... also.. a 50hp tractor won't drive between trees like a 25 hp tractor will..

However.. on the flip side.. I think it's nice to buy a bit more tractor than you initially need..

Soundguy