O my, I am comfused

/ O my, I am comfused #361  
What a pain that must be ^^^^^^
Last time I burned the piles were about 50x 40x 12' high. It warmed up the whole area pretty good. Still small compared to some larger fields with huge burn piles.

On my property that is at the end of a dead end road, I can do that too. But not on my property with a County road that runs by it and actually over it at one spot. The well to do ones down the road call in any fire. They even stop on the easement over my property and stand on my property and call the fire department about my legal fire. Gotta wonder if they have anything better to do.

/ O my, I am comfused #362  
On my property that is at the end of a dead end road, I can do that too. But not on my property with a County road that runs by it and actually over it at one spot. The well to do ones down the road call in any fire. They even stop on the easement over my property and stand on my property and call the fire department about my legal fire. Gotta wonder if they have anything better to do.

Greetings TomSeller,

Like most things in life, there are different viewpoints. Last summer 40 miles from here, someone made a choice to burn a big pile of of brush and trees. His land . . his "right". But he didn't have access to water as a backup. He was 100 feet from any trees . . but again . . he didn't have a hose.

Burned his 5 acres and then it spread to 37 other acres. Good trees and several houses . . all gone. Firefighters from numerous communities worked all weekend trying to save animals and houses of others.

The guy who started the fire had his "right" to have a fire but not a hose to keep his right from taking other property owners rights from being lost. His defense was he'd had burns many times with no problem. He said his 500 feet of hose was not available that day.

Just the fine and cost of firefighter efforts is over 75,000 and then . . . There's the payments to the other property owners effected . . thats a big number.

I've seen many "bad burners" over the years and many decent burners.

Maybe you might want to demonstrste you are a good burner to your neighbors and how you have backups to stop anything that couls happen.

The point is . . you have a right to be a good burner . . you don't have the right to be a bad burner. Help others see which you are :)

/ O my, I am comfused #363  
Maybe you might want to demonstrste you are a good burner to your neighbors and how you have backups to stop anything that couls happen.

The point is . . you have a right to be a good burner . . you don't have the right to be a bad burner. Help others see which you are :)

Good points all of them. Our regs require a hose within 50'. To me that just means setting up a pump from the creek if too far from a water line. Never an issue to me. I doubt any of the well to do would get too far from their fancy cars and chance getting their shoes dirty. A couple came by once to purchase some apples and the husband took one look at the cow pies and mud on the place and never stepped one foot from his vehicle. The lady was just fine, she walked all over. He had on some fancy sports shoes with very bight multicolored untied shoe laces. My land, my legal fire, my business. The people crying wolf are risking a slower response from the FD if there is a real concern of some sort.

/ O my, I am comfused #364  
We always have pumps and fire hoses for all burn piles would not consider burning without them.

/ O my, I am comfused #365  
What a pain that must be ^^^^^^ Last time I burned the piles were about 50x 40x 12' high. It warmed up the whole area pretty good. Still small compared to some larger fields with huge burn piles.
I can get a permit for a larger pile but it is only good for 14 days I think vs the small permit good all year. This way I don't attract too much attention as you really aren't supposed to be burning clearing debris I could build a large pile then just set it off, but I kind of enjoy working and feeding a smallish fire as the day goes along and staying 'under the radar'.

/ O my, I am comfused #366  
Xfaxman, From 150' away if radiant heat started the tree that is impressive. My burns are in the middle of plowed fields and are always the responsibility of the property owners. I don't need the liability risks. I keep my equipment away from fires too as it is easy to burn through air filters and get the ash in the engines.
Or sparks that melt your seat. Been there

/ O my, I am comfused #367  
I can get a permit for a larger pile but it is only good for 14 days I think vs the small permit good all year. This way I don't attract too much attention as you really aren't supposed to be burning clearing debris I could build a large pile then just set it off, but I kind of enjoy working and feeding a smallish fire as the day goes along and staying 'under the radar'.

Yep. Same here. Barbecue a few hot dogs for lunch while you are watching the fire. Take in your view at the same and it would be hard to beat. .

/ O my, I am comfused #368  
This is what I use to plan my burns: WindAlert

Then I call the local fire department and tell them I am going to be burning brush.

wa.JPG

/ O my, I am comfused #370  
I preferred to burn at night, when I can see the Sparks, and in the rain.

In or immediately after a rain is really good . . and never windy days. :) :)

I've also discovered some unique ways to get a fire started after the wood has been rained on (and no . . not gas or lighter fluids).