Oil addatives????

/ Oil addatives???? #11  
Oil additives are not needed. No matter what cocktail an additive company comes up with, the question no additive salesman will ever be able to answer for you is this:

Since you don't know which oil I'm using now, you don't know what additive package is in my crankcase now. Therefore, how in the world can you recommend an additive package for me?

Most aftermarket sales pitches can be debunked in a similar fashion. A couple of weekends ago, I helped my nephew out by installing his new "tuned" exhaust system on his F-150. We dropped out his OEM stuff, and as I was wirefeeding all of the bits together we were talking. I was his age once too, so I never approached the situation from a know-it-all perspective or anything....I just asked a few questions in the hopes that future purchases would be given more consideration. (i.e. this stuff wasn't cheap, he doesn't have a money tree in the backyard, and he was counting on some big improvements.) He had *sort of* fallen victim to the marketing tactics used by sellers of the aftermarket bits.

Long story short, how "tuned" can an exhaust system be when it's simply installed on a vehicle it happens to fit? The manufacturer has no idea what other things may or may not have been done to the truck. They have no idea whether it's bone-stock, they don't know how it's driven, what gearing it has, what type of fuel is used....nothing. So their exhaust is "tuned" to what?

Same thing applies to oil additives. There is no way they can know what's appropriate without knowing what's in the oil you're using now.

And even then, you'd have to assume they have a better idea of what's appropriate than the engine manufacturer that recommends an oil classification, and the company that makes an oil to that specification.

;)

/ Oil addatives???? #12  
I would never use any oil additive that you find on the shelves of a big box store, but I do use an oil additive made by Texas Refinery corporation, the same company that makes the oil I use. It's called "Pro-Tech Engine Treatment with ATM". A couple of years ago, my old 1994 Chevy 350 started to have slight lifter noise when I first started it up on cold days. I dumped a pint of it the engine, and it cleaned up that problem. I bought the truck used back in 1998 when it had about 185,000 km on it, today it has 240,000 km. You can see I don't put many kms on it in a year but the kms I do put on it tend to be "severe service", such as starting it up and driving off right away with zero warm up time, and only short trips of a few kms. Tough on it in winter months since it's rarely plugged in. Ever since then I have always added a pint of it every oil change since it did work for me.

Another instance of where an oil additive actually worked just came to mind. Decades ago, a friend and his dad used to haul used oil and had trouble with the differential in their tank truck, it was heating severely, so much so they said they couldn't put their hand on the housing, even with an empty tank. They bought a couple of cans of Moly-Slip and dumped them into the differential. He said that even with a full load of used oil, when they got back from a 100 mile trip, they were able to hold their hand on the housing. The Moly-Slip addition had quite a bit of molybdenum disulfide in it and it got them back home where they could properly fix the diff. After hearing that, I used to add a can of it to my diffs "just because".

I don't think it's accurate to say all oil additives are useless. Just like fuel additives where most are snake oil and only a handful actually work, I believe only a handful of oil additives actually work also. I'm also of the shared opinion that using a quality oil is the way to go rather than trying to boost the capabilities of a poor quality oil by using additives.

/ Oil addatives???? #13  
I use and sell a small amount of metal conditioning product called ER (energy release) in my repair shop and have for over 20 years.

I always and honestly say oil is all you need and keep it clean and I dont go out of my way to sell the stuff it is a tool for me and saves some of my customers larger repair bills sometimes.

I have however seen amazing results on certain applications where for instance a power steering pump is noisy because the pressure relief valve is sticking or a hydraulic lifter is sticking where there is super close tolerances I see an improvement when using ER almost 100% of the time.

They took zinc and other friction reducers out of motor oils because roller lifters that most every engine uses now don't need it and this is another reason additives are necessary where you have a newly installed flat tappet cam they wont break in 2/3 of the time.

/ Oil addatives???? #14  
I would never use any oil additive that you find on the shelves of a big box store, but I do use an oil additive made by Texas Refinery corporation, the same company that makes the oil I use. It's called "Pro-Tech Engine Treatment with ATM". A couple of years ago, my old 1994 Chevy 350 started to have slight lifter noise when I first started it up on cold days. I dumped a pint of it the engine, and it cleaned up that problem. I bought the truck used back in 1998 when it had about 185,000 km on it, today it has 240,000 km. You can see I don't put many kms on it in a year but the kms I do put on it tend to be "severe service", such as starting it up and driving off right away with zero warm up time, and only short trips of a few kms. Tough on it in winter months since it's rarely plugged in. Ever since then I have always added a pint of it every oil change since it did work for me.

Another instance of where an oil additive actually worked just came to mind. Decades ago, a friend and his dad used to haul used oil and had trouble with the differential in their tank truck, it was heating severely, so much so they said they couldn't put their hand on the housing, even with an empty tank. They bought a couple of cans of Moly-Slip and dumped them into the differential. He said that even with a full load of used oil, when they got back from a 100 mile trip, they were able to hold their hand on the housing. The Moly-Slip addition had quite a bit of molybdenum disulfide in it and it got them back home where they could properly fix the diff. After hearing that, I used to add a can of it to my diffs "just because".

I don't think it's accurate to say all oil additives are useless. Just like fuel additives where most are snake oil and only a handful actually work, I believe only a handful of oil additives actually work also. I'm also of the shared opinion that using a quality oil is the way to go rather than trying to boost the capabilities of a poor quality oil by using additives.

I'm just now starting to read the literature of TRC's other products. I use their Moly C&C grease and think it is some **** fine stuff.

/ Oil addatives???? #15  
I have had Street Rods and corvettes all of my adult life, when they sit they will bog and run badly, i put carb cleaner down the barrel and they run like new every time.
I have been doing that for more than 50 years and it works everytime.

/ Oil addatives???? #16  
I'm just now starting to read the literature of TRC's other products. I use their Moly C&C grease and think it is some **** fine stuff.

Yep. It stands up very well against all others. I always say it's the second best grease I have found, just because I haven't found the best yet. :D