oil and water do mix

/ oil and water do mix #11  
I would not recommend kerosene for flushing a hydraulic system. If any of the seals or hoses are not fuel rated they may soften, swell and leak or worse burst.

I used to have a 48 Ferguson TE20 and I started having some jerky 3ph issues w/heavier weights. An old timer recommended that I drain the fluid and fill w/kersosene, run it for 10-15 minutes then drain and refill w/the correct oil. So I did. To be fair, it really did correct the jerkiness as the 3ph worked nice and smooth afterwards but it's holding power was now shot. Before the kerosene flushing the 3ph would stay up for days after shutdown and never drop under power, after flushing w/kerosene the 3ph wouldn't hold even under power. I was constantly having to re-raise the implement.
Long story short, flushing w/kerosene did clear one problem but caused another.

/ oil and water do mix #12  
I would not recommend kerosene for flushing a hydraulic system. If any of the seals or hoses are not fuel rated they may soften, swell and leak or worse burst.

Luckilly the hyd lines in a jubilee are metal... for onboard 3pt/tractor hyds.. it's pretty common to flush them with diesel.. at least on the old fords anyway.

soundguy

/ oil and water do mix #13  
I used to have a 48 Ferguson TE20 and I started having some jerky 3ph issues w/heavier weights. An old timer recommended that I drain the fluid and fill w/kersosene, run it for 10-15 minutes then drain and refill w/the correct oil. So I did. To be fair, it really did correct the jerkiness as the 3ph worked nice and smooth afterwards but it's holding power was now shot. Before the kerosene flushing the 3ph would stay up for days after shutdown and never drop under power, after flushing w/kerosene the 3ph wouldn't hold even under power. I was constantly having to re-raise the implement.
Long story short, flushing w/kerosene did clear one problem but caused another.

5$ of rings.. or a new lift piston would have helped. it's very likely your old 3-steel ring piston had gumme dup rings, and the kero flushed them clean.. thus making them leak more.

preventative maint on the ferguson hyd system is -SUPER- easy.. same system on a 9n/2n ford... it's an 8hr job to R&R the lift cover and hydro pump, reseal with new wear aprts and adjust and slap back together.. faster if you done it before.. or if the 3pt linkage comes apart easy.

soundguy