Oil & Fuel Oil Capacity for Ford 1710

/ Oil Capacity for Ford 1710 #1  

sandkap

Tractor
Ford 1710
I bought a Ford 1710 with the Shibaura 3 cyl diesel.
Changed the oil yesterday using the crankcase capacity in an owner manual I bought, i.e. 5.6 qt with filter change.
After I changed the oil and filter, I started the engine and it ran rough and cut-off. Did the same thing a second time.
I checked the oil level with the dipstick and it read way over full - by about an inch or more on the dipstick.

TractorData also lists the engine oil capacity at 5.6 qt.

I'm thinking I either have bad info on the capacity, or the dipstick is a replacement from another tractor.

If the second option, then I have another problem with my tractor as it ran fine for a few minutes before I changed the oil to warm up the old oil.

I used Rotella synthetic 10W-30 ( I live in SW FL - it was 99 F and 99% RH before 11 am this morning in my truck).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

/ Oil Capacity for Ford 1710 #2  
A thought on running rough and cutting out. Is your injector pump oil common with the crankcase? Over filling the injector pump will cause problems with running right.

/ Oil Capacity for Ford 1710
You're right, they do share oil. Any idea how to drain fuel pump or other fix?
Do you think I should worry about the dipstick reading vs published oil capacity?

Thanks Square1.

/ Oil Capacity for Ford 1710 #4  
Curious how much oil the manual calls for without filter change?

I'm finding 5.6qts. and 5.3 qts. (about 50/50 using google search) with filter change. That's troubling.
Only thing I can think of is to pull the oil plug and drain the crankcase down. Then refill to the line and see how she runs. Be interesting how much oil is left over of the original 5.6 quarts when you stop at the full mark, 0.3 quarts perhaps?

The manual only lists capacity with filter change. It does show 5.3 liter, and 5.6 qt in parentheses. Maybe that's where the discrepancy is coming from?

I will try to drain to the proper level on the dipstick and see what happens.

Is there a way to drain the fuel pump? I'll check to see if there is a drain plug or bleed on the bottom.

Thanks again Square1.

/ Oil Capacity for Ford 1710 #6  
Is there a way to drain the fuel pump?
Being shared / common oil, it should drain down as you lower the crankcase level.

There are several 1710 owners here, hopefully one of them can measure the distance from the oil Add/Fill line to the point where the dipstick seats in the dipstick tube / engine block and let you know what that dimension is. Not knowing for certain the level is right, especially since it's your injector pump (small resevior in relation to the crankcase capacity) lubrication as well, could be very costly.

[edit to add:]
This thread may shed some light on the injector pump

p4647me5.jpg

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing/121055-ford-1710-injector-pump-oil-2.html

I called the local New Holland dealer yesterday and spoke to their service department. He looked up the capacities and said the offset version of the 1710 takes 5.6 qt, the standard version (what I have) takes 5.3 qt. Bad info in the manual and apparently you are right about the 0.3 qt difference.
Regarding the fuel pump, they told me there is a drain screw on the side of the pump. Fill with oil from the top bleed plug until it drains out of the side drain screw and that is the proper oil level in the fuel pump.
Did not get a chance to work on it last night, hopefully tonight.
Thanks again Square1, I really do appreciate your help.

/ Oil Capacity for Ford 1710 #8  
I think it's pretty likely you have IDed the problem.
Best wishes with your new ride. They're great tractors.

Update: I drained a little more than a quart of oil to get it below the top end of the hatched fill area on the dipstick. Possibly still some old oil left in the crankcase? I noticed the new oil on the dipstick progressively get darker and darker until it looked used. I think I'll change again after a couple of weeks use and see what happens.
After starting, it still ran rough. Then adjusted the threaded stud on top of the fuel pump leftside by backing off a turn or two and it ran fine. Just took some adjusting.
Added some oil (5 oz) to the threaded bolt on top in the middle and called it a night.
Other than the mystery of the true oil capacity, I'll consider this episode closed. Thanks Square1, your knowledge and time are greatly appreciated. Stay tuned, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.