Oil change

/ Oil change #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hi all,

I have a John Deere 2305 with a Yanmar 24hp diesel. I would like to change the oil and filter. This is my first experience with a diesel engine and the owners manual says that a SAE 10W-30 is OK, but a "multi-viscosity diesel engine oil is preferred", and John Deere PLUS-50 is recommended. Is this a case where JD is pushing it's own products or is there really an advantage to paying for and using their oil? Or, can I go to any auto supply store and ask for a "multi-viscosity diesel engine oil". The tractor is still under warranty, so does that also enter into the picture? Any tips or "watch out fors", or is it just a matter of doing a normal oil change? (And, of course, locking all doors & windows to TRY and keep that guy Murphy from getting in!)

Thanks,
Ray

/ Oil change #2  
I am not an expert but I would use the Chevron Delo or Shell's Rotella oils, I think they would me the JD standards and they are oils made for Diesels.

As with any engine stay with one brand for the life of the tractor and service at the specified intervals, as my Yanmar is every 100hr.

Good Luck
Howard L.
Hazmatguy

/ Oil change #3  
My Kubota ( I know different brand) manual says that when running off-road (high sulfur) diesel they recommend their oil. It is formulated for High Sulfur Diesel Fuel. When using a Low Emissions Oil such as Rotella or Delo and running off road diesel to shorten the oil change intervals. Now if your using the new ULSD diesel fuel Rotella LE or Delo LE should be fine.

Chris

/ Oil change #4  
I got my 2320 in May and havent reached that 50 hr mark yet.. I was planning on using rotella 15w40 (same as i use in my dodge cummins), but JD sent me a coupon for free oil for my first oil change, so i took them up on it.. :)

As far as buying oil - Walmart, autozone, etc all carry oil - Just make sure it is for DIESELS...

Brian

/ Oil change #5  
Any good 'c' rated oil that meets the specs in your manual should be ok.. base weight/viscosity on the temp range chart in your book.

15w40 covers most of northamerica except the desert and arctic temp areas ;)

soundguy

/ Oil change #6  
Most of the off road diesel today is the same sulfur content as onroad. the only difference is the dye added to denote non-roadtax.

/ Oil change #7  
psj12 said:
Most of the off road diesel today is the same sulfur content as onroad. the only difference is the dye added to denote non-roadtax.

Not necessarily. Every offroad pump around here has a sticker that says. High Sulfur Off Road. At one time (before 2007) off-road diesel could have as much as 3000 ppm sulfur. That number came down in 2007 to 500 ppm, which is what old LSD had. By 2010 off-road has to be 15 ppm, the same as ULSD in offroad applications. And by 2012 in marine and locomotive applications.

Read about it here.
New Cleaner Off-Road Diesel Fuel Flowing

I'm just quoting what it says in my owners manual about the use of oil that in designed for diesel trucks. I will tell you that I borrowed 5 gallons of ULSD from my neighbor one day when my tractor was low and it hardly smoked when placed under a load. When I put the "off-road" back in it I had the normal amount of smoke when putting the tractor under a load.

Chris