Oil Filter Help

/ Oil Filter Help #1  

rmallaire

Tractor
John Deere 970, Massey Ferguson MF200 dozer
Hello Everyone,

I replaced the filter on the hydraulic reverser transmission on my Massey Ferguson MF200. The gasket / o-ring blew out and deformed. I need to replace it but can't find the exact one in parts stores. I was wondering if I can use Ultra Black Permetex to make my own seal. If not, does anyone know where I can buy gaskets with the specified diameters and thickness? I included a picture of the oil canister with the gasket that blew out. Thank you for the help.
IMG_2920.JPG

/ Oil Filter Help #2  
Permatex - no.

Gasket/O-ring should come with new filter. Just buy a new filter.

Q. Why did it blow? The flat-sided o-ring (or 'Gasket' as you refer) usually deforms upon installation if the surfaces are dry and the rubber 'grips' as the filter is tightened, thus deforming.

Ensure all rubber surfaces are oiled lightly before installing the filter and don't over-tighten.

Regards,
:wrench:

/ Oil Filter Help #3  
if youhave a heavy truck parts dealer close by see if they can get you baldwin number pt9516 it comes with oring also most napa stores can cross over to wix number if not able to let me know where you are located and my contacts at baldwin will tell me who close to you to get one good luck

/ Oil Filter Help
Spanner: thanks for the information. I likely did turn the housing by accident when it was tightened. What would you oil the flat sided o-ring with? Is permetex bad because of next time the filter needs to be changed? Thank you

Mitch Becton: I will call my Baldwin supplier tomorrow and find out if I can get another. I will let you know if I cannot track one down. Thank you for the help.

/ Oil Filter Help #5  
Permatex is bad because you don't need to do anything other than lightly oil the rubber ring before installation of the new filter.

Dip your finger in the oil in the old filter (Because that is handy and easily reached) and wipe it around the rubber seal face. One finger-dipful is enough for any filter. Just wipe it around until there are no dry spots. Nice 'n wet but not drippy or runny.

Oil. Just engine oil. Is all you need on the rubber.

No Permatex. No silicone. No WD40. No nuthin'. Just used engine oil. It's free and easy to obtain. You have a filter full of it right there.

:wrench;

/ Oil Filter Help #6  
Make sure the old gasket is not stuck to either surface. A filter gasket won't usually blow unless the old gasket was not removed.

/ Oil Filter Help
Thanks to everyone for their help. I ended up ordering a new filter installed the new rubber seal properly as Spanner recommended. It runs without any leaks now.

/ Oil Filter Help #8  
:thumbsup:

Glad to help. :drink:

:wrench: