Oil for diesel

/ Oil for diesel #1  

Anonymous Poster

The owners manual for my new JD 4410 specifies any oil that meets API SERVICE CLASSIFICATION SG or higher. Doesnt this include just about all of the big name oils for gasoline engines and shouldnt a diesel have a "C" class? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Oil for diesel
The oil for gas and diesel is not the same. Best to use what is recommended. Shell Rotella t is just one of the oils which meets the SG spec. Look for diesel rated oil and check the rating logo.

/ Oil for diesel #3  
I've always used oils that specify diesel use. (I use amsoil but it's specified for diesel engines. Think the last post was right about the cd api spec). The cost of the oil itself is cheap enough that you might as well go with the right stuff.

/ Oil for diesel #4  
I have 2 pieces of JD equipment--a Diesel Gator and a skid steer. I have found that the manuals for both have errors. I have also found conflicting information in the manuals. I agree with the other comments that you should definitely use oil rated for diesels.

/ Oil for diesel
Thanks for the replies. I went to Tractor Supply and got some Shell Rotella T for when I do my first change. I live in an area that has 2 Tractor supply stores, both 12 miles away from me.

/ Oil for diesel #6  
I use Amsoil in my Cummins engine, Dodge CTD and love it. It improved my MPG by 2!

KC