Oil leak?

/ Oil leak? #1  

TractorStumped

Tractor
1974 Gilson Twin 16hp
Recently took my tractor in for a repair for new rods and rings due to a rod busting. The engine is a twin 16 hp Briggs and Stratton. My question is when I took it in for the repair it did not leak one drop of oil but now the guy is telling me that the rod put a hole in the engine. If it put a hole in the engine wouldnt it have leaked when it happened and not after he worked on it? I am just wondering if the repair guy made it leak or what he is telling me is true? The pictures he sent me from his garage not mine.

Attachments

• image-2250973811.jpg
    image-2250973811.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3158105506.jpg
    image-3158105506.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 121
   / Oil leak? #2  
It very common for a broken rod to knock a hole in the engine block when it breaks.

/ Oil leak?
Thanks for the reply but don't you think it would have leaked before I took it to him? The rod did break at my house.

/ Oil leak? #4  
If it has a hole in the block that certainly isnt his fault. However I would wonder why he would rebuild a engine the had a hole in it. Seems like he would have caught that.

/ Oil leak? #5  
G'day if it has a hole in the block then why didn't he fix it while it was apart?
My guess is that if it a vertical shaft engine then he has damaged the crank seal putting it back together no biggy it happens to all of us occasionally he should offer to repair.

Jon