Oil Pressure Gauge and Tachometer

/ Oil Pressure Gauge and Tachometer #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I am going to replace my oil pressure gauge (showing continuous maxed out reading) and tachometer (unreadable) on my 8N. How does one go about replacing these? Any advice is appreciated.

/ Oil Pressure Gauge and Tachometer #2  
Try just8ns.com They have the best prices that I have found. I ordered all my engine parts from them, nice folks to deal with. I think an replacement tach is about 60.00

/ Oil Pressure Gauge and Tachometer #3  
Is the tachometer what the 8n parts lists refer to as a "proofmeter"?

/ Oil Pressure Gauge and Tachometer #4  
Oil pressure gauge is an easy 9.99$ replacement from an auto store. I have sunpro 'cheapy' gauges on 3 of my old fords. Drops in.. all sae.

Proofmeter is as stated.. about 60 bucks. Drops in and screw the drive cable in. Try lineing it up to make sure it doesn't bind when you put the drive cable in.

Soundguy

/ Oil Pressure Gauge and Tachometer
Thanks. My current oil gage reads 50+ when turned on, then drops to the low 40s after a long while running. I don't trust it, plus 10 bucks isn't bad.

I may wait awhile on the proofmeter. Does it serve much of a purpose for operating/maintenance??

/ Oil Pressure Gauge and Tachometer #6  
Oil gauge could be bad.. or someone has dinked with the oil relief valve.. as it shouldn't develop 50 psi.

Replace the gauge first. If it still reads high.. I'd bet someone has stretched the spring under the large headed cap on the front of the engine.. left side front... under it is a spring and plunger that is the oil relief valve. If the oil pressure is a tad low.. some people stretch the spring.

New springs are available.

The proofmeter is the tach.. it is helpfull if you need to know specific rpm or groundspeed.. also is an hourmenter. N's didn't get them till around 50 or so.. so from 39 till them they went without... your call.. I like mine..

Soundguy