Oil Seal Cover Mystery - L4150

/ Oil Seal Cover Mystery - L4150 #1  

yokoji

Tractor
Kubota L4150
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and let me be very clear from the start - I am in no way experienced with mechanical endeavors and I'm learning as I go along. So please be patient and I appreciate any one who is willing to help!

We have a Kubota L4150DT and the right front axle has been causing us problems. First, the cap on the bottom of the axle case came off when the staking nut came loose and the 12T bevel gear dropped down. The axle has been worked on in the past so it is safe to assume that the nut had not been properly staked when put back together, although I can't be sure of this. I ordered a new collar, shim, nut and cap and put it all back together according to the workshop manual and filled the case with gear oil. Soon after, the front axle case nut came loose and came off with the cap on the end of the axle. Another nut ordered, put on, torqued, staked and a new cap put on. Another 2.9QT (or slightly less) of gear oil. Now, there is a small leak coming from the oil seal cover / mud guard plate. This is what I don't get.

According to the workshop manual for this tractor, there is an oil seal cover with a mud guard plate bolted to the front of it. If you look at the photos I've posted, you can see that there seems to be a single piece oil seal cover/mud guard plate as opposed to a plate bolted on top of the the oil seal cover. And at the bottom of this, on both front axles, there is a small hole. It is from this hole that the oil is leaking.

Does any one have an idea of what this hole is and why our tractor seems to deviate from that shown in the diagram in the workshop manual (parts 14 and 15 in the attached diagram)? I'm hoping there is something really obvious that I am overlooking here, and if so, please do point it out to me.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• TractorAxle1.jpg
    TractorAxle1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 137
  • TractorAxle2.jpg
    TractorAxle2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 109
  • TractorAxle3.jpg
    TractorAxle3.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 117
  • TractorAxleDiagram.jpg
    TractorAxleDiagram.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 120
   / Oil Seal Cover Mystery - L4150 #2  
Hi yokoji,
It looks like someone has put the L5450 parts on your L4150. There is 2 different one for the L5450. One looks like the L4150 and was used up to ser.# 60687 and after that it was not used. Also there are 3 different seals and the mud guard was not used at all.
I don't know how to send you a PDF file from the parts list of the L5450.
As far as the hole, my guess it is there to let you know your seal is leaking by.
Does the other side look the same?

/ Oil Seal Cover Mystery - L4150
Yup - both sides are exactly the same. Thanks for the suggestion. We've got a mechanic coming up today so I'll run that by him.

/ Oil Seal Cover Mystery - L4150
Our mechanic agreed tht the factory put a heavier duty part on our tractor and that the hole is a weep hole, to indicate a leak in the seal. Thanks for the input, Leejohn.

/ Oil Seal Cover Mystery - L4150 #5  
I'm just nosey.

If you have a tractor, I'm interested in the year, manufacturer, model, why you chose it, how much restoration you've done to it, and what you use it for.

Thanks.