Oil suction rather than drain

/ Oil suction rather than drain
The belly pan was split, so I only had to drop the one under the engine. The oil filter was difficult to access, and after getting it lose, almost impossible to bring it out past the engine; and the same going in with the new one. Oil all over my nice wood floor.

/ Oil suction rather than drain
   / Oil suction rather than drain #14  
Look on the bright side, your floors waterproof now. :)

/ Oil suction rather than drain #15  
The Mercedes mechanics say that they suck the oil out the dipstick location. They do this primarily on the newer models (after about 1990) that have pans encapsulating the engine compartment.

I had a Fiat 124 that requires removal of a pan underneath. 'twould have been easier on it to suck the oil out.

Even if you don't get it all out; so what? I'm sure that there's a lot sitting in little crevices around the engine that never gets drained out. You hugely dilute it when you put fresh oil in.

Ralph

/ Oil suction rather than drain #17  
I too have boats that you must suck out the oil. I just make sure I do it after a good run and it is hot & "mixed up". Has not been a problem in the 19 years I have been doing this, still have the boat and the motor has never been apart. Runs like a top.

/ Oil suction rather than drain #18  
I have rebuilt a few older engines and despite oil being drained through the plug for many years, there was plenty of sludge in the pan.

Newer engines don't seem to have much sludge.

I suspect the difference is that oil has improved over the years.

If you change it at the right interval, sucking it out seems OK to me.