Oil tests

/ Oil tests #1  

jdkid

Gold Member
Akaroa South Island ,New Zealand (about 1/2 way do
Tractor
8350 valmet with 980SL FEL duels had a 150 Hp deutz just sold it 10 NOV 01
Do any of you have oil test's done?If so how offen.also any ideas what would make oil darken and thicken in a short time (under 100 Hrs)

/ Oil tests #2  
Since no one else is addressing this, I'll give it a try. Oil sampling should be done just prior to a scheduled oil change. To be meaningful, it should be done at each oil change. That way you have a progressible history of the normal wear metals in your oil. As long as samples show near the same amounts of wear metals, all is well. When one or many metal counts shoot up, you have a problem. With oil analysis you have a warning, usually, well in advance of a failure. One thing to be ware of, however, is that changing oil brands (or types) can often change the wear metal readings on your analysis. Many of the oil additives are organo metallic compounds and will show up as wear metals on the plasma spectrophotometers commonly used by labs. Always have a clean oil sample run to get a base reading of the clean oil metal content.

Darkening of oil can be many things. Assuming you have a diesel, darkening is normal and is usually soot. Good diesel oil will keep the soot in suspension. The filter will get some but most soot particles are too small for a filter. Lots of soot will thicken the oil over time but proper oil change intervals should check this condition. Oil analysis will help you with determining a proper oil change interval under unusually high soot conditions. Some diesels will soot up the oil very quickly, but thickening is unusual during the recommended change interval. You might have combustion blow by problems which would be accompanied by hard starting if the rings were starting to stick. Also, high idle time is good soot producer. Don't idle more than a few minutes. Shut it off. Hope this helps.

/ Oil tests
hi jconer
i used to do oil tests on the 5130 and 7210 CIH tractors we used to run ,the one i have now does not follow the same trends IE hours for oil colour change.. i'm lookin at doing oil tests though CAT in NZ to see what is going on it maybe a trend the motor has to blacken oil fast but just to be safe i'll do some tests (almost up to 1000 Hrs)
catch ya
JD Kid