Ballast Ok , Here's A Update On Ballast On My 3038E JD

/ Ok , Here's A Update On Ballast On My 3038E JD #1  

USNative

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 John Deere 3038e
Hello all, it's been a while since I posted. I have been a pretty busy boy for the last year or so. I have a 3038E JD and was having a problem a while back with the Calcium Chloride liquid filled rear tire on my machine and I posted about it here on TBN. Well , now I am having the same problem with the other rear tire as it developed a leak. So sick of that CC crap, nasty stuff !

Well anyway, as I am writing this the CC is slowly trickling out if my rim but there is good news as well. I called around and found a tire shop that is going to fix this problem once and for all. I am taking the tractor in to them next week and they are going to pump out the nasty CC and clean up the rims and refill with Rim Guard.

I am so glad to be getting this done. And the guy at the shop said that once this is done I ll not have anymore problems due to corrosion, and since I can run tubeless with the new Rim Guard, if I ever get a puncture all I will need to do is put a plug in it. Way more convenient .

If anyone else is having these problems I would suggest getting rid of that CC and get you some Rim Guard.

Oh, by the way , if anyone's interested in the cost it is $110.00 per tire. That includes pumping the CC crap out , cleaning the Rims , servicing the valves and stems and refilling with the Rim Guard. It depends on the size of tires of course.

Last edited:
   / Ok , Here's A Update On Ballast On My 3038E JD #2  
Rim Guard seems to be a good product I just prefer wheel weights because they never seem to leak. Over a long period of time not having to remove or fill the tires it seems to me the cost is about the same.

/ Ok , Here's A Update On Ballast On My 3038E JD
Rim Guard seems to be a good product I just prefer wheel weights because they never seem to leak. Over a long period of time not having to remove or fill the tires it seems to me the cost is about the same.

Hey jenkinsph, hows it going ? You were one of the guys who posted on my thread a while back when I first had this problem.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing/191473-right-rear-tire-ballast-fluid.html

At the time I believe I told you I would go with the weights. I may still go that route later but right now the most cost effective way to address this problem is to go with the Rim Guard. If it works out good I may stay with it for a while. If I can find a really good deal on weights (craigs list or something) I may invest in some later on.

Right now my major focus is simply getting that CC the heck out of my tires and off my tractor !!! I hate that stuff. If I can I will try to get some pics of them removing the CC and refilling with the new Rim Guard. I believe I said I would try to do that in my post a while back.

I was meaning to get rid of the CC a long time ago but never got around to it as I was way to busy to do it at the time , but busy or not my main priority is to get the CC out of my wheels before it does considerable damage and causes more expense which I don't need. Why anyone would want CC in tires is beyond me, if I knew then what I know now I would have never had the tires filled with that stuff. No one told me of the corrosion risks involved with the CC.

I also need to look into a ballast box as it was suggested a while back in that same thread that a ballast box helps to take stress off the front end of the tractor especially when using the loader. As soon as I can I intend to add a ballast box as well.

Oh, by the way, I am close to 400 hours on my tractor and not one issue with it other than this CC crap. Pretty happy with this little tractor. :) :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Ok , Here's A Update On Ballast On My 3038E JD #4  
In an ideal world all the ballast would be cast weights. The last method of ballast to consider is CaCl. It doesn't matter that your Pappy, Grand Pappy and Great Grand Pappy used the stuff. It was "A" all they had to work with and "B" they didn't know any better. CaCl is a very aggressive compound.

/ Ok , Here's A Update On Ballast On My 3038E JD
In an ideal world all the ballast would be cast weights. The last method of ballast to consider is CaCl. It doesn't matter that your Pappy, Grand Pappy and Great Grand Pappy used the stuff. It was "A" all they had to work with and "B" they didn't know any better. CaCl is a very aggressive compound.

You got that right !!!

/ Ok , Here's A Update On Ballast On My 3038E JD #6  
I don't like CaCl, but have had Rim Guard in my 3038e tires since purchase. I would like to go with weights, but the price is sky high. For someone using the machine on a small farm, it's just prohibitive. One of the biggest issues with the 3038e for me is the narrow wheel pattern and the fact that you cannot safely operate on much of a slope. The liquid filled tires, since they have air at the top, actually lower the center of gravity on the tractor more than would wheel weights. I am looking at JD wheel spacers though to widen the rears a few inches. Any little bit would help.