Old 55 series obsolete?

/ Old 55 series obsolete? #1  

jd4310man

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar VIO27-3, New Holland LX885, John Deere 855 C.U.T.
I recently bought a used 87, 655 compact tractor that has the 50" mid mower, three point hitch and rear PTO. I was at the dealer today picking up parts and i was in the service department and the guy behind the counter was giving me a line that the old tractors like the 55 series are obsolete and Deere is no longer making parts. He told me a guy that works there bought a good looking 855 and turned around and sold it because he couldn't get any parts. Im sure there is alot of these good "old" tractors still running and in service today. Has anyone else had any trouble getting parts to keep their tractors running?

/ Old 55 series obsolete? #2  
There are many of the -55 series tractors still in use and there don't seem to be a lot of complaints online about parts availability. Trying to find a loader or mounts for some attachments is another story but still possible with enough effort. If the tractor is in good shape and you're looking for basic maintenance items and the usual replacement things like bearings you should be good for many more years.

/ Old 55 series obsolete? #3  
Go to John Deere's online parts catalog and look up your model, then check and see how many parts are NLA

/ Old 55 series obsolete? #4  
I haven't had any problems finding maintenance parts for my 855. Same with basic repair parts. Options/accessories are a different story.

/ Old 55 series obsolete?
Yea, I think the guy was BS'in me. I just picked up some parts for it. It seems that most parts are still available. Radiators on the other hand are obsolete threw Deere. I got mine at a local rad shop to get fixed. These old machines are built better than the new stuff. I think they are worth putting money and time to keep running. Whats your opinion?

/ Old 55 series obsolete? #6  
Haven't needed many parts for mine. Wife bought me a new set of decals and a front light lens for Christmas. I ordered and got a seat that bolted right on. Seat may fit other models but the 855 decal set was model specific.

Last edited:
   / Old 55 series obsolete? #7  
I've not had any problems getting parts for my 955.

Went through and replaced the front steering knuckle seals last spring (just starting to weep a little), got everything with no problem.

Ed

/ Old 55 series obsolete? #8  
i just sold my 87 655. Never had an issue getting any parts for it. Always found what i needed, even a factory power beyond kit.

/ Old 55 series obsolete? #9  
Yea, I think the guy was BS'in me. I just picked up some parts for it. It seems that most parts are still available. Radiators on the other hand are obsolete threw Deere. I got mine at a local rad shop to get fixed. These old machines are built better than the new stuff. I think they are worth putting money and time to keep running. Whats your opinion?

I see the larger tractors such as the 4255, 4455 and so on selling for near the original prices after twenty years. Must not be obsolete.

Just my opinion but the 55 series are very good tractors.