Buying Advice Old farm/ new farmer

/ Old farm/ new farmer #1  

cur3t

Tractor
none
In about a month I will own a farm (42 acres) of typical Ky hilly farm land. 2 small pastures. Too many cedars. Good water supply.

I know I need to clear more pasturage and set better fencing. What I am interested in hearing is what type of tractor and implements should I look for first?

I would appreciate your advice. Budget is about 10K

/ Old farm/ new farmer #2  
Are you planning to have livestock? Cattle? Horses? Other?

Are you planning to raise a crop(s)? Has crop land been worked recently?

How large are the Cedars? How numerous are the Cedars? Do you plan to remove Cedars yourself or contract out removal?

Have you had tractor operating experience? Have you had tractor maintenance experience?

What tractor brands are available within 25 miles of your farm? New or used you will need parts and service.

How rough is the ground? Do you need tractor ground clearance to enter woods?

Do you have a road to maintain? Dirt or gravel? How long? Culverts?

Here is a LINK to threads in the T-B-N archive started by people with similar questions to yours:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...tractorbynet.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

/ Old farm/ new farmer #3  
Down here Cedars will take over if the soil is not plowed or mowed for several years. Solution is to hire a dozer to come in and pile them up. Doesn't take long and worth the money. Then comes the tedious task of pulling up the roots that emanate from the trunk of the tree. If you are going to pasture, not that big of a deal but if plowing using a moldboard or chisel, you will need the implement and HP to pull through them. That gets you up into the 50+ hp or so range on the tractor.

Go and meet your neighbors and talk with them as to what they use, what they do with what they use, and why did they select what they did.

Might be a big help.

Mark

/ Old farm/ new farmer #4  
neighbors can be the best tool you can have
just be friendly and the conversation will be the best knowledge you can get

/ Old farm/ new farmer #5  
Up in the northern states we have quite a few trees, that being said im no stranger to removing a few. I would first like to recommend that you get a tractor with a loader, they are incredibly handy when working with brush and trees. If you are a good mechanic I would say save some money when buying your tractor and buy a cheaper backhoe so you can dig out the stumps.