omega 3 fish oil supplement linked to prostate problems?

/ omega 3 fish oil supplement linked to prostate problems? #41  
They have known for years that eating the foods with all the good vitamins and minerals is what helps you, not taking the pills. But it is a multi-billion $ industry, so the FDA plays along. That is what happens when the safety regulators are also the PR men for an industry.

So do like your Mamma always told you. Eat your veggies.

****BEST ADVICE AWARD******

/ omega 3 fish oil supplement linked to prostate problems?
o doubt that if you can get what you need fromt he regular diet you are better off. when you need some extra.. a supplement is next best IMHO..

/ omega 3 fish oil supplement linked to prostate problems? #43  
They have known for years that eating the foods with all the good vitamins and minerals is what helps you, not taking the pills. But it is a multi-billion $ industry, so the FDA plays along. That is what happens when the safety regulators are also the PR men for an industry.

So do like your Mamma always told you. Eat your veggies.

Actually, the FDA has little or no control over vitamins and supplements. They are allowed to make claims that they not only cannot support but that they do not even have clinical data to support. If I remember correctly there was a bill passed in the 70s that made the vitamin and supplement a hands-off industry in terms of regulation. So the government has little to do with that industry..........which would be refreshing except that it has allowed that industry to use unscrupulous marketing that not even Oxy-Clean, Sham Wow, or Ginsu knives could get away with. You might notice the small print on many vitamin and supplement ads that says something to the effect that no claims of a medical nature are being made............even as the ad makes wild claims about long life, prostate health, sex drive and mental sharpness.

In truth, when studies on vitamin supplementation are actually done in reasonably unbiased academic settings the result is more often than not that no prior claims of efficacy can be supported and quite often that supplementation often increases some sort of risk.....for what that is worth.

What folks often don't understand is that even though many if not most of the vitamins and minerals we need are critical to life and proper function, but the amount that we actually need is tiny and adding more is of no benefit. Is your pee yellow when you take vitamin C? If so, its a whole lot easier to throw the pill in the toilet. Same net effect.

But with fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K) it is a different story. You can get too much and actually have toxicity when they build up in your body. Will this happen with a daily multivitamin? No.

/ omega 3 fish oil supplement linked to prostate problems? #44  
I've been told if the fish oil pill breaks open while it is in your mouth, it is some nasty tasting stuff. That is the reason I don't take it.

Anybody done that?

I have poked holes in them deliberately so I could use them up in a blender concoction. As hard as that was, I sure wouldn't worry about one breaking in my mouth.

I have switched away form fish oil and instead I now use pressed hemp seed oil and a bit of flax seed oil.

/ omega 3 fish oil supplement linked to prostate problems?
I have poked holes in them deliberately so I could use them up in a blender concoction. As hard as that was, I sure wouldn't worry about one breaking in my mouth.

I have switched away form fish oil and instead I now use pressed hemp seed oil and a bit of flax seed oil.

i use a combo of fish, borage and flax oil.

and yeah.. that gel container is tough to pop.

my wife will sometimes cut an E open to use the oil as a hand rub.. takes scissors...

/ omega 3 fish oil supplement linked to prostate problems? #46  

EE, I hope you are not growing your own "hemp" to collect the seeds. ;):laughing::laughing::laughing: Remember, THEY are watching! :D:D:D

I have been making flax seed "crackers" in the dehydrator. Flax seed is odd stuff. If you put the Flax seed in a blender to break it down, everything is fine. Add water to the seeds, cracked or whole, then process, and this goo comes out of the seeds. I assume it is the oil and the blender/processor can not longer pulverize the seeds. Really odd to watch. The water, seeds and goo just forms this blob. The blade on the food processor just stirs the blob but does not cut up the seeds.

The crackers are not bad if you add a bit of salt and/or chili powder. Not real good either but not real bad. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ omega 3 fish oil supplement linked to prostate problems? #47  
EE, I hope you are not growing your own "hemp" to collect the seeds. ;):laughing::laughing::laughing: Remember, THEY are watching! :D:D:D

I have been making flax seed "crackers" in the dehydrator. Flax seed is odd stuff. If you put the Flax seed in a blender to break it down, everything is fine. Add water to the seeds, cracked or whole, then process, and this goo comes out of the seeds. I assume it is the oil and the blender/processor can not longer pulverize the seeds. Really odd to watch. The water, seeds and goo just forms this blob. The blade on the food processor just stirs the blob but does not cut up the seeds.

The crackers are not bad if you add a bit of salt and/or chili powder. Not real good either but not real bad. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

I know you are joking, but I do believe all the hemp oil (which I buy from the Vitamin Shoppe) is coming from Canada.