Opinion wanted on replacement connecting rod.

/ Opinion wanted on replacement connecting rod. #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I am looking for an engineering opinion on an OEM replacement connecting rod for a 16hp cast iron Briggs & Stratton model 325431-0135 which is approximately 50 years old.
I want to restore it while old stock OEM parts are available.
The original rod is usable crankshaft is perfect but I want to replace the rod (just because)
I ordered a NOS rod and the big end has extensive changes from the original.
There is considerably less bearing surface and the bolts have no stamp or ID please see photo.
While the workmanship is excellent the machining looks to be excessive to me.
I would like an informed opinion from an experienced viewpoint.
My feeling is do not use it.
I am looking for a new old stock like the original.

90cummins
5F98B171-D8BE-435C-9D67-792BD212051B.jpeg

/ Opinion wanted on replacement connecting rod. #2  
I take it that it's the typical Briggs design that doesn't have inserts, the rod acts as its own bearing. Agree that the new one for some reason has taken a large portion of the bearing surface away, does the cap look the same?
I would probably take a VF or SF scotchbrite disc and carefully burnish the rod bearing surface to glass it up and assemble it with a thin coat of moly grease. While I had the mini sander out, I'd knock off the stress risers or casting ridges, but that's just me being nit-picky.

/ Opinion wanted on replacement connecting rod.
It’s a typical small engine design with no insert.
The new cap looks like the old cap.
I have decided to return it and find an original old stock rod design or reuse the old one.

90cummins

Last edited:
   / Opinion wanted on replacement connecting rod.
I found and ordered an original made in USA old stock connecting rod.
The China one is being returned.
I guess there is a lesson to be learned here and that is to research and check what you purchase.
Being an original part does not necessarily mean you are getting a part of equal quality.
90cummins