Buying Advice Opinions on 2011 5045 D

/ Opinions on 2011 5045 D #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I figure these have been around long enough now for folks who have used them to have sound opinions. I baled hay this summer with my old Farmall 340 Row Crop, but the JD dealer I use told me he just took in a good 5045 D with loader. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You

/ Opinions on 2011 5045 D #2  
I came close to buying the same model tractor you are looking at back in 2012. Because I use the loader a lot I decided on a 4wd instead. If you don't plain on doing much loader work you should be ok, just be prepared to use a good sized counter weight. These tractors are a little crude and noisy compared to others, but they are bang for the buck. I've had a few issues with mine, but nothing major. ( Lack of dealer support mostly.) I read a comment saying that the 50 series was a 100 hp tractor with a 50 hp engine. I think that's accurate. It appears to be old school overbuilt. Check the gear ratios to see if they work for you.
Based on comments from other owners QC may be an issue sometimes, for different years. I personally don't regret my decision.

/ Opinions on 2011 5045 D #3  
I came close to buying the same model tractor you are looking at back in 2012. Because I use the loader a lot I decided on a 4wd instead. If you don't plain on doing much loader work you should be ok, just be prepared to use a good sized counter weight. These tractors are a little crude and noisy compared to others, but they are bang for the buck. I've had a few issues with mine, but nothing major. ( Lack of dealer support mostly.) I read a comment saying that the 50 series was a 100 hp tractor with a 50 hp engine. I think that's accurate. It appears to be old school overbuilt. Check the gear ratios to see if they work for you.
Based on comments from other owners QC may be an issue sometimes, for different years. I personally don't regret my decision.

/ Opinions on 2011 5045 D
Thank You. It is 2wd with a loader, but I’m getting it to run my 24T baler mostly. My brother has a 5103, I figured they were pretty much the same