Opinions on this chain option?

/ Opinions on this chain option? #11  
I had a REALLY HD set of double ladder V-bar chains for the Ford 1700. They rode like a COB. They walked like a ZOMBIE. They were VERY heavy and hard to install. When installed on all four wheels - the tractor could climb the side of a building.

One definite advantage of the Kubota M6040. I no longer need any type of chains.

/ Opinions on this chain option? #12  
I've looked at several chain threads, but didn't find a good answer for this --

The cost of really good rear tire chains is a bit daunting, and for my location I cannot justify the cost for the relatively infrequent use (one heavier snow season every 4-5 years in this part of the mid-Atlantic).

That said, I see the benefit of having "something" available when we do get a decent amount of snow. (I do realize that most folks in this region have no idea what "real" snow is. I spent four years in the plains of central Illinois, including one year in which we got multiple feet of snow and the university closed -- something that had happened only a handful of times in 120+ years. And for those of you farther north, I imagine that central Illinois snow is a drop in the bucket to you!).

I have been thinking about making up a set of DIY chains ($150-$200) as a not-nearly-as-effective alternative, to have at least something that would help in snow.

Today I came across these, at $371: 15x19.5 Aquiline Multi Purpose Tire Chains (MPC) for Equipment With Minimal Clearance -1 Pair - Ken Jones Tires

I'm thinking this might be a decent compromise between cost and performance. Does anyone have experience with these chains? What do you all think about this option?

Thanks!
There are quite a few options, some of which will give better traction, for less money. You are being redirected...

/ Opinions on this chain option? #13  
I had a REALLY HD set of double ladder V-bar chains for the Ford 1700. They rode like a COB. They walked like a ZOMBIE. They were VERY heavy and hard to install. When installed on all four wheels - the tractor could climb the side of a building.

One definite advantage of the Kubota M6040. I no longer need any type of chains.
I was afraid with my bobcat I would need chains, but my driveway being very flat, and thanks to global warming. We don’t get the heavy snows of my youth.

/ Opinions on this chain option? #14  
I’m guessing any chain is better than no chains but your use should dictate what type would be most effective. I live in steep, sloppy snow country so lugged Euro chains were the only choice for me. And thanks to LouNY for the mounting tip that makes installing those 150 pound suckers a breeze.

/ Opinions on this chain option? #15  
Have you given any thought to front tires only-obviously I'm assuming you have 4WD

/ Opinions on this chain option? #16  
I’m guessing any chain is better than no chains but your use should dictate what type would be most effective. I live in steep, sloppy snow country so lugged Euro chains were the only choice for me. And thanks to LouNY for the mounting tip that makes installing those 150 pound suckers a breeze.
Glad that it helps you mount them.
It's almost time for me to put mine on the Branson, I never took them off the IH574 this year.
I'm going to be running over the NH Saturday to pickup 3 more sets of chains, there goes a quick $2400.
Picking up some OFA's for 15-19.5's, 14.9-28's and 18.4-38's.
Then I'll have even more work to do.

/ Opinions on this chain option? #17  
I also went with studs front and rear....* work good year round on dirt, mud, snow and ice for me.

* tires are R4's

Last edited: