Painting Rims

/ Painting Rims #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Any easy way to paint the rims? I have masked off tires before but it takes a ton of tape and I still get some overspary out of a rattle can. what have others done?

/ Painting Rims #2  
I have found one wrap of electrical tape works really well up against the rim lip because of it's flexibility. You can generally even get the edge of the tape in the bead gap between the tire and rim. Then I use masking tape and news paper after that. I've painted a lot of rims that way without overspray on my tires. Even without removing the wheel and tire from the vehicle sometimes.

/ Painting Rims #3  
Deflate the tire.(you dont have to break the bead) Then take a sheet of lightweight cardboard or thick posterboard and lay on top of the rim...(you can do this a few inches at a time if it makes it easier) Temporarily Tape the cardboard down, then go along the edge of the rim and tap it with a hammer....this will give you a pattern that can be cut with scissors and taped up under the rim edge easily.Then...just mask off any remaining area and paint
BTW....I got this off a youtube video....do a search on there for how to paint rims....works slick!!!

/ Painting Rims #4  
Use a long piece of lightweight cardboard or sheet metal

Make a cone out of it so that the smaller end fits the area between the tire bead and rim lip

Paint!

No need to keep the cone in place for the whole rim only to paint area near the tire

/ Painting Rims #5  
Cover the tire with vasaline, paint, then clean it off.

/ Painting Rims
Great ideas....THANKS

/ Painting Rims #7  
tire soap is even easier than vaso.. even comes with a paint brush in the can..

/ Painting Rims #8  
A plastic garbage bag can also be used, just cut out the rim after putting the deflated tire in it, inflate with bag under bead.

/ Painting Rims #9  
Any easy way to paint the rims? I have masked off tires before but it takes a ton of tape and I still get some overspary out of a rattle can. what have others done?
I have used a thin piece of grey cardboard to wedge between the rubber and the rim. Carefully shoot that area and move it around and repeat. Did some 66 mustang rims that way. They looked new when I finished. You can do a lot of masking with just cardboard. Just don't get in a hurry with the spray. Light dusting on tires will easily come off with lacquer thinner or similar.

/ Painting Rims #10  
Cover the tire with vasaline, paint, then clean it off.
Or just use grease...........wipe off when finished painting.