Pallet forks attachment method suggestions

/ Pallet forks attachment method suggestions #1  

PowerTracManiac

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1460
Just got a set of SSQA 48inch Pallet Forks and a PT attachment plate is on the way from PT for my 1460.
Question is: Do you all think I should I also get an additional SSQA hitch plate with the locking pins and weld the PT adapter plate to the SSQA hitch? Or should I just weld the PT adapter plate directly to the Pallet fork frame and forgo the additional SSQA hitch?

The SSQA hitch plate option will apparently push the Pallet forks out an additional 6 inches due to the additional width of the SSAA locking hitch portion. But I would then be setup with a SSQA hitch with pins I can then obviously use to connect to any SSQA implements?
Can't decide what to do?

/ Pallet forks attachment method suggestions #2  
Will you have enough lift with it out there 6 more inches? If so, i'd do what ever makes it easier for you to move from one to another attachment.

/ Pallet forks attachment method suggestions #3  
If you go with making an adapter, you will have to get off the tractor each time you change implements unless you are also going to add hydraulics to control those pins.

Ken

/ Pallet forks attachment method suggestions #4  
The closest example for things I have done is adapting to 3 pt hitch equipment. For things I use a lot and only on the PT, I weld a PT attachment plate onto the equipment. However, if it is rarely used and/or I want to be able to use it on a normal tractor, I will use a PT to 3 point adapter and live with the negatives that come from doing so.

Ken

/ Pallet forks attachment method suggestions #5  
Also, carefully consider the angle that you want before you weld anything. Get the wrong angle and the implement may point too far down and not be able to curl back far enough to be useful, or it might curl back fine, but not be able to dump far enough. Make sense?

On the lift equation:
Your machine is larger, so might not be as important as it is on the little 425, but if I extended my forks out 6 more inches, I'd seriously lower my lift capacity. Plus add in the additional weight of double attachment plates and that diminishes it even more. For my little machine, every pound counts.