pasture fertilizing question

/ pasture fertilizing question #11  
I've got a bit of a side question and thought this might be a good place to ask.

What should be done to the ground after using a location for a series of large burn piles? Does the heat kill the nutrients in the soil? In short, what should I do to restore the burned ground to production of bermuda/fescue hay?

/ pasture fertilizing question #12  
I've got a bit of a side question and thought this might be a good place to ask.

What should be done to the ground after using a location for a series of large burn piles? Does the heat kill the nutrients in the soil? In short, what should I do to restore the burned ground to production of bermuda/fescue hay?

The heat doesn't effect the nutrients in the soil but the act of burning does cause some of the nutrients in what ever was burned to be released into atmosphere. Only thing is if ashes are very deep they need to be spread and worked in. Then you can soil sample that spot or just sow it.

/ pasture fertilizing question #13  
I don't know the chemistry of it but every place I had a burn pile whatever grew over it outgrew the surrounding area. However, as stated, a soil test pretty much tells all.

Mark

/ pasture fertilizing question #14  
Yeah, test your soil, most AG extensions will do it for a small fee, $10. I like to start with 13-13-13 in the spring. If you cut hey, after the first cutting I put down 21-05-05. In the fall back to 13-13-13. If you are concerned for runoff into pond just make sure you put it down when grasses are dry but soil is moist, before a rain, but not before a big rain. Using liquid fertilizers solves your issue and concerns too. Seems to work good. HS.

/ pasture fertilizing question #15  
My soil test says to apply 200lbs of Urea twice a year. Normally I put down around 250lbs in the Spring. I live 100 miles from my land and to apply fertilizer in the Summer you must be ready on a moments notice. My Midland 99 and Coastal does fine at this rate but could be better.