Paved Driveway Re-hab

/ Paved Driveway Re-hab #1  

Bill_in_MI

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100, B2910
This may not be a tractor project...unless I have to bust out my old drive. The gravel re-hab post got me to thinking about what it would take to get my aging asphalt drive back into shape. Anyone have any experience in "adding a layer" of some specified thickness to an existing drive? Drive is about 400 ft. I would probably be most concerned about the bonding (of lack thereof) of the new layer. Thanks.

18-30461-BillSig.jpg

/ Paved Driveway Re-hab #2  
Bill,
I don't know how to do it but last year I did the same thing at my office building and it didn't work very well at all. It's already starting to break apart in the same spots that it was weak in before. I had a guy come over and look at it and he said to make it smooth and not have it break down again in the same places you either had to tear the new up and start over or use a specific filler for the old, level it out and then add your new asphalt over the new filler. He said it was much easier and cheaper to just tear the old up and start over and it made for a better job and you didn't have it so thick.

tractorpic.jpg