Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ?

/ Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ? #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
Peak - Blue All Season Diesel Boost

Note this is the fuel additive, not their DEF.

I see the Cetane and lubrication claims on the label are identical (likely intentional) compared to the Power Service - silver bottle - that I use. The mixing instructions on the label are clearer. And a quart is $9, vs $11 (TSC).

I wonder if this is a new product. I found it at TSC but they don't show it online.

I don't need the anti-gel in Peak's product so their claims for that aren't important. Power Service reduces the clanking in my older 2-cylinder Yanmar by a noticeable degree, and I think it makes the exhaust cleaner on both tractors. So an alternative $2 cheaper looks attractive.

Does anybody use Peak's Diesel Boost-Blue? Comments?

/ Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ? #2  
Look at some of the diesel lubricity studies out there. PS is not that great compared to many others. You can get more for your money elsewhere. Not sure about that Blue Peak stuff hasn’t been in any studies so I’m guessing new.

/ Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ? #3  
Look at some of the diesel lubricity studies out there. PS is not that great compared to many others. You can get more for your money elsewhere. Not sure about that Blue Peak stuff hasn’t been in any studies so I’m guessing new.

Do you have any links to recent diesel lubricity studies?

/ Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ?
Look at some of the diesel lubricity studies out there. PS is not that great compared to many others.
I've seen that, and also that 2-cycle oil showed a minor benefit in those studies. So I've been gradually using up old 2-cycle oil, adding a couple ounces per fill (less than 1:200) along with the PS.

I finally used up the 2-cycle oil. So now I'm wondering if obsolete-grade motor oil is ok to add a couple of ounces per fill - anybody know? (These are old-technology diesel tractors from around 1980 when Yanmar began building for Deere, so no modern smog gear). One time I added a couple of ounces of leftover UTF. It made the exhaust smell like overheated transmission, alarming but harmless. I don't want to repeat that.

What is a better alternative to Power Service? And is supplementing that with 2-cycle oil or some other lubricant advantageous?

/ Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ? #5  
I use Optilube XPD during the cold months and Optilube Summer during warm months. Use it for my tractors and all my Duramax trucks with no negative effects. According to the study (admittedly somewhat dated) Optilube did decently according to their evaluation criteria. I’m in no way associated with the company just seems to work for what I need and based on the study results I’m sticking with it until someone can do a newer updated study to compare what’s on the market now.

/ Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ? #6  
Last edited:
   / Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ? #7  
You can pour the whole quart of oil in an 80s model diesel tank mixed with fuel and not hurt anything.

/ Peak Blue Diesel Boost fuel additive vs Power Service ?
You can pour the whole quart of oil in an 80s model diesel tank mixed with fuel and not hurt anything.

Hmmm. Maybe I should use up the half-quarts of compressor oil and air tool oil. But probably not the chainsaw bar oil, the mfr doesn't have any reason to filter that as clean as the other two.