Pelton wheel project

/ Pelton wheel project #21  
How much volume, gallons per minute? Sounds like you have the potential to run more than a few light bulbs. I've been into micro-hydro systems a while and would love to find some land with that stream on it.

I've been thinking about doing something with the flow in the creek by my house for awhile now.....but haven't yet. Normally the flow varies by the month from about 50 to 500 gallons per minute with a peak velocity of around 10 feet per second. It's higher this year. Flow is minimal in the cold months and peaks in July with the snowpack runoff.
That flow pattern makes it not very useful for generating electricity, but for irrigation & pumping it could be useful. In general the problem with using water for gardens is that in the western US most every drop of water is already owned by large corporations or by cities. Luckily on our land we do still have some rights to our creek water.
Enjoy, rScotty

/ Pelton wheel project #22  
Interesting thread going on. The people at Backwoodssolar.com are a good source of information (as well as parts, books, etc) for off-grid solar, wind, and hydro projects. I've bought a bunch of solar electric stuff from them, but I recommend them mostly because they know a ton and are willing to help people out without trying to sell them equipment. Go into their online store and then click on the section for micro-hydro power, and you will see a bunch of cool stuff there.
Backwoods Solar Electric Systems

/ Pelton wheel project #23  
I've been thinking about doing something with the flow in the creek by my house for awhile now.....but haven't yet. Normally the flow varies by the month from about 50 to 500 gallons per minute with a peak velocity of around 10 feet per second. It's higher this year. Flow is minimal in the cold months and peaks in July with the snowpack runoff.
That flow pattern makes it not very useful for generating electricity, but for irrigation & pumping it could be useful. In general the problem with using water for gardens is that in the western US most every drop of water is already owned by large corporations or by cities. Luckily on our land we do still have some rights to our creek water.
Enjoy, rScotty

I'm not sure what would be the best idea given that much seasonal variation. The beauty of micro-hydro is that is generating a small amount of energy 24/7, typical housholds consume a lot but in a short timeframe during the day. A battery bank can store that energy for when you are using more than generating. Micro hydro is chap too, 1/10th of solar for the same output.

/ Pelton wheel project #24  
I'm not sure what would be the best idea given that much seasonal variation. The beauty of micro-hydro is that is generating a small amount of energy 24/7, typical housholds consume a lot but in a short timeframe during the day. A battery bank can store that energy for when you are using more than generating. Micro hydro is chap too, 1/10th of solar for the same output.

I forgot to mention...if your power company allows net metering you dont need a battery bank. Basicly how it works is you sell electricity to the power company (meter turns backwards) during times you generate more than you use, for example at night. I wont go into the details but its worth a look, and it will more than pay for the equipment in the long run.