perkins 1104-44t engine failure

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure #11  
we have two with around 3300 hrs no problems and just bought a new one hopefully no issues

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure
Glad the guy has had good luck with his two machines with 3300 hours. This is the fourth asv that I have owned and have been pleased until now but this new one is a real problem and perkins nor asv will step up.

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure #13  
Glad the guy has had good luck with his two machines with 3300 hours. This is the fourth asv that I have owned and have been pleased until now but this new one is a real problem and perkins nor asv will step up.

You would think since your a loyal customer, ASV/Perkins would fix your engine under warrenty.

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure #14  
There are an almost infinate number of causes for a catastrophic engine failure, WARRANTY only applies to TWO: Manufacturing DEFECT or WORKMANSHIP, therefore if the failure does not fall into one of those two buckets, technicaly (and legally) it would not be covered regardless of the failure mode.

Now there are essentially two ways to handle a failure during the warranty period of a product: 1) You cover it unless there is obvious and apparent evidence that the failure was induced or 2) You hold fast to the Warranty policy and cover ONLY those failures that have been proven to be due to Material Defect or Workmanship.

If the manufacturer wants to use system #2, you need a lot of research to defend denials and must have accumulated a lot of data in support of those denials.

Other manufacturers simply say, if the failure is within the warranty period, it will be covered regardless except in extreme and obvious cases of neglect or abuse.

I KNOW which type manufacturer I would rather buy from.

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure
I have read a lot of responses to my original post, most of the ones defending perkins/terex are probably posted by there pr guys who watch these forums and try to minimize problems people are having. I noticed that someone said to stay clear of anything with a perkins in it, I dont think that is right either. I have no less than 8 tractors and/or mulchers with perkins power. I have been a loyal customer of both asv/terex and perkins, that is why this problem has bothered me so much. This particular engine had problems, they should stand behind it instead of trying to blame everyone or everything else. I know that my little complaint and my little lawsuit will not hurt perkins in the end .But right is right and wrong is wrong. I havent tried to beat them out of anything or run them down about their products, it is however very likely to cause great hardship on my business and family if it doesnt put me out of business I will be lucky. I just wanted other hard working, honest people to know what they might be dealing with should they need support. If anyone else has any info that might help my case please share it. By the way I had to take my machine to their "authorized service center" which come to find out doesnt even have all of its acreadations from perkins yet, and perkins based there denial on a few pictures that the local guy sent to them via email. No one from perkins has even looked at my engine in person or at any of the parts. They just sat in an office somewhere and decided that my problem was not important enough to them to bother with. Its my livelyhood that they are dealing with though and I hope that someone will hear what I am saying.

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure #16  
There are an almost infinate number of causes for a catastrophic engine failure, WARRANTY only applies to TWO: Manufacturing DEFECT or WORKMANSHIP, therefore if the failure does not fall into one of those two buckets, technicaly (and legally) it would not be covered regardless of the failure mode..

If there was oil in the crankcase, it's 99.99% probably a defect in parts or assembly. The application is approved by Perkins, they should cowboy up and fix their crappy (lack of) quality.

Manufacturers that don't stand behind failures have made an economic decision that it is cheaper to screw over the customers than to fix a broad quality issue until forced by lawsuit.

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure #17  
I have read a lot of responses to my original post, most of the ones defending perkins/terex are probably posted by there pr guys who watch these forums and try to minimize problems people are having.

I can assure you that I don't work for Perkins as a "PR guy". And even if I, (or anyone else) was, how can watching the forums "minimize problems people are having"? If my original post sounded skeptical, it's because no details have been posted. None. Add to that the fact that in 25+ years of working on equipment and dealing with warranty claims, I can assure you that 90+% of submitted warranty claims aren't warranty issues at all. On top of that, most of the time when a claim is made, the end-user has done so without even knowing what their warranty covers, nor what it excludes. Additionally, many owners never fill out and send in warranty registration cards, and/or change of ownership cards. What happens then, is that if the manufacturer issues an equipment update or service bulletin, the end-user doesn't get a notice. The update doesn't get done, and expensive repairs can result.

How about we start over again with some details/photos/etc.? ;)

If there was oil in the crankcase, it's 99.99% probably a defect in parts or assembly.

That's a good one. Not talking about this situation, (because we have no details), but I've yet to see an operator experience a catastrophic engine failure due to a lack of engine oil that hasn't subsequently added some nice clean oil after the failure occurred in order to cover their tracks. (My favorite one was when a rod let go and went out the bottom of the pan. The operator added some nice clean oil, which then ended up on the ground right in the middle of the dirty black oil pool that was already there. It was as obvious as it would be if you poured some black paint on the floor, and them poured some white paint right in the middle of the puddle.)

Another common "it wasn't me" scenario occurs when someone runs a new piece of equipment out of fuel and can't get it re-started because they don't know how to bleed the system properly. If I get there and find the mysterious "won't run" condition to be due to empty fuel lines, filters, and pump, I always ask, (just for fun, mind you), if the equipment was run out of fuel, and some was added after the engine quit because there's obviously now at least 10 gallons in the tank.

If 10 guys ran out of fuel during the machine's use, I'd *guesstimate* that 2 or 3 would actually admit doing so.

:eek:

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure #18  
Yeah I'm afraid I have no connection to perkins either.

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure #19  
Yeah I'm afraid I have no connection to perkins either.

X3 and i agree with you brokenot have seen and dealt with the same over the last 25 odd years and still see it a couple of times a year

Jon

/ perkins 1104-44t engine failure #20  
That's a good one. Not talking about this situation, (because we have no details), but I've yet to see an operator experience a catastrophic engine failure due to a lack of engine oil that hasn't subsequently added some nice clean oil after the failure occurred in order to cover their tracks. (My favorite one was when a rod let go and went out the bottom of the pan. The operator added some nice clean oil, which then ended up on the ground right in the middle of the dirty black oil pool that was already there. It was as obvious as it would be if you poured some black paint on the floor, and them poured some white paint right in the middle of the puddle.)

The neighbour of my brother sometimes repairs my car in evening hours, he is a well trained car mechanic, who used to work for an independent organisation that did tests and checkups for others: you can call them to check a used car you want to buy, but they are also called by Volkswagen to do independent tests in warranty cases.

Once he took an oil sample of a 2 year old Volkswagen engine which had bearing failures. It turned out the oil was sparkling fresh !!! Conclusion: the owner ignored the oil warning light, seized his engine, then put oil in it and then filed a warranty claim at his dealer...