pickup mounted crane

/ pickup mounted crane #11  
I don't see any mention about a stabiliser leg. At 2000 lb lift I think you will twist something if you go without.

/ pickup mounted crane
I am planning on ~240* rotation. The drawing shows the jib in 3 positions, including 2 with the extension out. The third position is with the jib "parked".

I will be using this to load logs, and other heavy things, so it needs to swivel and have maneuverability.

/ pickup mounted crane
TerryMcQ - Thanks for the pictures! I might use that in the future, but right now I need a crane that is mounted to the truck. I haul a lot of firewood and other heavy stuff and can't load it by hand. Some of the chunks of wood I bring home weigh 2500 lbs. It is much easier to chop them up at home rather than out in the boonies.

The crane will let me do more, faster and easier. Don't worry about the truck, it will be fine. My dad got scared one day when I kept piling it higher. He kept asking if the truck would take it. I told him it would haul whatever he could put on it. We ended up with a few trees on there, and the truck didn't care.

I decided to measure my engine hoist, just out of curiosity, and was surprised to find out that my crane is only doubling what the hoist will lift.
It will lift 2,000 lbs at 3 ft and 1,000 lbs at 5 ft. The crane will do 2,000 at 6 feet and 1,000 at 10 feet.
That doesn't seem too bad to me. If people are using those HF cranes on their factory truck beds that are made of sheet metal, then I should be fine with a sub frame and outriggers. There are straight boom cranes for pickup trucks that will lift the same amount as mine and those don't twist the truck in half.

It would take 18,000 ft lbs to start tipping my truck. My crane will make about 12,000 ft lbs. Not even close to tipping, but deserving of an outrigger for sure.
I have a friend who used to work in the heavy machinery field and he has some background with designing solid stuff. I showed him my plans and he said if I could get it built, it would be one mean machine. That meant the world to me. He is a very kind man and has a big heart, but he is very good at telling you when you are doing something stupid or have a bad idea. This is one of the first ideas he has signed off on, and without any hesitation.

I feel good about moving forward with the rest of the plans and am eager to begin construction. If anyone has any suggestions, just let me know.

/ pickup mounted crane #14  
In the post log business as a kid, I saw axle stubs used as the rotator mechanism. It was a 3/4 or one ton axle with full floating bearings about a foot tall. The crane mounting plate fastened to the lug nut studs facing straight up. This allowed a brake to be applied to stop or slow the rotation either hydraulically or via the emergency brake cable.

/ pickup mounted crane #16  
Why not a tow behind crane set up similar looking to the tow behind bucket hoe sold by HF?

Beefed up materials - hydraulic mechanism (swing and lift) and portable to work sight and unload sight. The plus is that you only need it when required otherwise stored on your property till needed.

PAGUY

/ pickup mounted crane #17  
Have you thought about one that plugs into the trailer reciever? It might not get the weight your want. I have one and it is around 300, I figure I would push it if I ever got a real big bear. I bought it for my side by side, which also has 2" reciever.

I have a viking, which is made in US. I was unhappy that it was to tall for my 9 foot garage, and had no way to adjsut height. I think it can be modified will some holes. Also doesn't turn as easy as I would like, no bearing. Some grease on the pipe might help, but then a mess when taking apart.

I'd like to build a gantry crane for my barn. Maybe not a crane but a structure. Maybe electric hoist, maybe just chain fall.

/ pickup mounted crane
I have looked at everything I can find and none of it will do what I need it to. I need to be able to lift at least 2,000 lbs quickly and easily, over and over again, and place it on my truck or on my trailer or in another truck or even just in another place. I own a farm and a crane is a valuable tool on a farm. I have googled everything I can think of and nobody makes what I am looking for.

/ pickup mounted crane #19  
I have googled everything I can think of and nobody makes what I am looking for.

they are called service cranes.
first hit on google
Tiger Cranes | Providing lift for the world

2085_Crane1.jpg

2K capacity, 10' reach

1479_Crane1.jpg

14K capacity 30' reach

there are like 8 others in between

the product is out there. how you plan on mounting it to your application, which is severely underrated, is on you.

/ pickup mounted crane #20  
This is another style that you might consider, with an added base rotator: Ag Krane

AgKrane CO.jpg

akqh2.jpg

msl-072standing.jpg