Pink Lady's Slipper

/ Pink Lady's Slipper #1  

Hendey T&G

Tractor
2007 Branson 4720
I found this growing in my woods. It's in the orchid family.
Beautiful. :)

IMG_0607 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0609 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0608 - Copy.jpg

/ Pink Lady's Slipper #2  
We have that here in Virginia but rare to see.

/ Pink Lady's Slipper #3  
Same for michigan, they do well here but are still just so rare to see. Neat!

/ Pink Lady's Slipper #4  
Nice find! (y)

We only see those in the flower shops here. Too hot and dry. Lately, however, we've had a lot of rain this year and mushrooms are everywhere. :rolleyes:

/ Pink Lady's Slipper #5  
We had a good morel season on my slice of forest as well. Well over a pound just from some casual browsing, but the season goes quick! Now I search for trillium flowers (and lady slippers).

/ Pink Lady's Slipper
I was working outside today and found about 6 more.
The Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry says there are 4 species of lady's slippers in Maine. The most common is the pink, (sometimes white), lady's slipper, the yellow, the showy, and the ram's head lady's slipper. The yellow is rare in Maine and the ram's head is rare globally. It looks like we'll have a white.
At our old house we had some Trillium that grew very early in the season. It was sort of brick red. And behind our barn where it was damp we had a lot of jack-in-the-pulpit. All wild plants you don't see everywhere.
Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• IMG_0612 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0612 - Copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0618 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0618 - Copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0617 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0617 - Copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
   / Pink Lady's Slipper #7  
Leaves on the yellow grow up the stem, not just at the base the way they on the rest of them. Yellow grows in low wet areas, whereas the others like drier soil.
The property I grew up on in Auburn was farmland reverted back to forest. There were a lot of white and pink lady slippers, as well s purple trillium and Jack in the Pulpit. We always enjoyed looking for wild flowers.

I suspect as you look, you will find more.