Pit Sand ?

/ Pit Sand ? #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
We have a rural wooded lot, and a decent amount of grass, but our yard is not pristine, I'm not trying to make a golf course, just something I can walk without twisting an ankle and ride on without jarring a kidney.

I am however trying to fill holes that pop up from trees that have been taken and ground down over the years. I am in southern Alabama, so lots of rain, and we have centipede grass here that grows on top of, rather than in the soil.

I was hoping to get a load of fill dirt, but it seems that isn't an option, and top soil is crazy expensive at $450 a load (22-24 yards.) They do offer "pit sand" for $250 a load which I've never heard of, but have googled. They say many people use that under sod here in the area, and it works great.

Is "pit sand" a good option for filling holes and divots that I want grass to eventually cover? I'm not seeding, the centipede just naturally spreads.

/ Pit Sand ? #2  
yes it is … all pit sand is, it's a natural sand deposit and is sold without processing, so you will have rocks, possibly the odd wood stick, roots and clay piece .. rocks are good for compaction … it might take a bit for the grass to grow on it but definitely cost effective … i would suggest fill what you need to fill with the sand then get a yard or two of top soil and spread a thin film over it to support vegetation.

Last edited:
   / Pit Sand ?
Had a load (22-24 yards) of pit sand delivered, and have been using it to fill holes. Seems to be working well, it is straight sand, no rocks, or other debris, pretty happy with it, and the dogs absolutely love it.

Sand1.jpg