Plastic welding and welders

/ Plastic welding and welders #11  
I use a plastic welder often to attached segmented 3D printed parts for an automotive company and I've found that it comes in handy for other things as well.

Attachments

• Polyvance Plastic Welder.JPG
    Polyvance Plastic Welder.JPG
    451.4 KB · Views: 57
   / Plastic welding and welders #12  
I watch these guys in Egypt do paint-less dent repairs. They often do repairs to plastic parts using nothing but a steel bar heated by a torch. They heat the plastic with the bar then press in screen material. When they're done, it's hard to tell it was repaired. I've seen them repair light brackets, bumpers and radiator overflow tanks. It's not all "paint-less". They do occasionally send items out for repaint. But their skills with a hammer and dolly are amazing--Nearly as good as my own. :giggle:

/ Plastic welding and welders #13  
I punched a hole in a plastic fuel can with my grapple and repaired it with epoxy 5 years ago. Still works to this day.

/ Plastic welding and welders #14  
They heat the plastic with the bar then press in screen material.

I have used that screen material procedure many times to repair plastic parts, only I use my soldering iron instead of a steel bar. A little bit of a learning curve but it does work well.

/ Plastic welding and welders #15  
I have used that screen material procedure many times to repair plastic parts, only I use my soldering iron instead of a steel bar. A little bit of a learning curve but it does work well.
Same result. I use a soldering iron or gun for small repairs. The bar just covers more area. It looks like an old tire tool--A turned up and rounded nose.

/ Plastic welding and welders #16  
A lot depends on the plastic type, some can be heat fused, none want to work with epoxies
I've had success with PVC using glue sticks and heat guns.
For a smaller pin hole even a self tapping screw and leather washer (or rubber) can suffice.

LOL, I've seen many a canoe repair that attempted repairs with fiberglass and epoxies. You could just peel those patches off no problem.
What they neglect to do is to aggressively use a grinder B4 patching.

I once repaired Cessna wing fairings with hot glue since they were but commercial PVC.

/ Plastic welding and welders #17  
For vinyl all that's needed is some MEK, which is getting hard to find but you can still find Plastruct-bondene last I checked which is just MEK in a tiny glass bottle with a brush in the cap for model railroading...