Plumbing - transition from 1-1/2 PVC to 1-1/4 irrigation pipe

/ Plumbing - transition from 1-1/2 PVC to 1-1/4 irrigation pipe #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
What is the best way?
I've a long (both in time and physical length) buried 1-1/4" irrigation pipe that was installed about maybe 45 years ago for sump pump drainage from my house. This was pre check valve (back flow preventer) etc. It ends by coming through my concrete block wall inside the house with a barbed right angle fitting.
I'd like to transition from that to 1-1/2" PVC to get to my check valve then to my sump pump.
But the PVC fittings and 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" adapters I have on hand do not fit tight on the irrigation pipe.

/ Plumbing - transition from 1-1/2 PVC to 1-1/4 irrigation pipe #2  
I guess the first question is why not reuse the old fittings, but moving on.

If it had barbed fittings, you probably need an 1 1/4" hose barb adapter to NPT and go from there. Polyethylene pipe generally goes by ID, IIRC, and PVC goes by OD. I would measure before trying to find a new barb adapter. A little heat and some lubricant goes a long way with poly pipe to barb connections in my experience. I am a fan of hose clamps that have an interior metal plate to protect the pipe from the screw, either the bolt versions, or the worm drive with an extra tab underneath the threads. They seem less prone to leaking, at least in my experience.

More o pipe sizing here;

All the best,

Peter

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Plumbing - transition from 1-1/2 PVC to 1-1/4 irrigation pipe
Thanks, I may have found a solution, I'll try and go from the barbed male fitting at the wall to a section of 1-1/4" irrigation pipe (IP)---> a barbed 1-1/4" with 1-1/4" male NPT---> standard PVC size (1-1/4" Barbed Insert x 1-1/4" Male NPT Threaded PVC Adapter)