Pole Barn Door Placement

/ Pole Barn Door Placement #1  

jaydee325

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere X584 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H
I'm going to put up a building next summer. Have not settled on a size yet, but I'm pretty sure 32' will be the widest width.

I'm planning on either roll up or sliding doors on either end to be able to drive through. Looking for input on what location is best, either centered or offset to one side. I can see benefits to either layout. Appreciate input.

/ Pole Barn Door Placement #2  
Have a 30 and 40 foot wide PB and prefer the 40. Both have roll ups, the 30 has a 20 wide and the 40 has two 16 wide at the same end.

Buddy has a 40x102 and has two 20 wide doors one on each end and start on opposite sides

/ Pole Barn Door Placement #3  
Building new you may wish to add your doors on the sides. This allows for the easy addition of more parking stalls should you opt to extend the building later.

/ Pole Barn Door Placement #4  
I just built a 24x32x12' pole barn;for my situation I off set the over-head door(12x10');four foot from the corner of the short side of the building.This works for me and leaves a lot of storage on one side.I also have four windows and a man-door.Cold storage so I have light panels in the roof.

/ Pole Barn Door Placement #5  
It really depends on how you intend to use the building relative to equipment storage, vehicle storage, shop space, etc. My 40 x 50 originally had only one 12 wide door in one end. I added a second 9 foot wide door which was all I could do with the configuration. If I was starting from scratch with a 32 wide, I would put two 12 foot wide doors in one end, biased toward one side and a 12 foot wide door in the other end. I k0now some people like doors in the sides, but I think the pole spacing limits the flexibility of this.

It's a real advantage to be able to move things in and out without moving everything. I currently have a tractor, an equipment trailer, a car and a truck in mine, plus another car being restored, in addition to the usual assortment of attachments and miscellaneous. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing Tetris getting things in and out.