Pole barn pics?

/ Pole barn pics? #1  

Cort

Tractor
None yet
Sorry for the pseudo-spam, but where did I see the pics of the fiberglass-topped pole barn that someone was building? Couldn't find them using the search engine. Also, if the owner can contact me I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Cort

/ Pole barn pics? #2  
You considering building yourself, pre-built, or delivery?

I don't have the link, but am curious.
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pole barn pics?
Hi, Mike,

I'm definitely going to build it from scratch. I built a 16'x16'x15' shed two years ago that's a tank. I actually drew up the plans (pencil, graph paper, and ruler) and took them to the county. The county was VERY helpful with a couple tweaks and some suggestions.

I'm planning to do something much cheaper and far less sturdy to just put a roof over my MF GC2310 that gets delivered Saturday. The existing shed is floored and on a slope. The new one will just have a dirt floor.

I know I've seen pics on this site where someone was getting a new tractor and they put up a very simple pole barn with a fiberglass roof (those corrugated, green sheets). I'm thinking of doing something along the same lines.

- Cort

/ Pole barn pics? #4  
If all you are thinking of is a glorified carport build a gambrel roof. Not the barn it sits on, just the roof. It has plenty of space and all you need is something to set the ends of the trusses on.

/ Pole barn pics? #5  
Hey Cort,

Uh, well, I am in the process of finishing a 16X24 pole type barn. All scratch built. On a slope. You can find the corresponding pics in the Kubota Operating Forum under B7800 in action.

Mike's Pole Barn Pics

Maybe that is what you saw?

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Pole barn pics?
Slamfire - thanks for the suggestion. I think I want a little something to keep prying eyes out, though.

Mike,

Yep, that's it! Those are the pics I saw and that's the type of building I'm shooting for. Any drawings or suggestions? 4x4? 6x6? How far on center? Just pre-drill and screw on the roof panels? What type of ridge vent? How are you doing the doors? Is that just panelling on the sides? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have a 16'x16' that looks like a small house (vinyl-sided and all). A 16'x24' like that looks perfect.

Thanks,
Cort

/ Pole barn pics? #7  
Cort,
Totally scratch built. I used 4X4 posts 8' OC. I wrap the 4x4 with 2X4's and 2X6's for added strength. The sides are of course 2x4's. Bottom areas 2x10's, pressure treated. The rafters 2x6's pressure treated. Used stainless steel screws 3 inch in length for attaching everything. Metal roof called Pro-Panel. All material at your HD. Roof built on frame section that sits on-top of rafters. Ridge vent only attached at ends, need to get up the courage and straddle the roof and screw it in.
Metal screws on roof started with a nail. Then drill in to set the screws. I worked from the inside laying the panels.

The sides panels are T-111. Used 22 sheets. Top rear area is clear plastic sheets. On the second floor.

One man job, every weekend, averaged about 8 hours a day since July-mid-July. No plans, just layed out a rectangle in my
head and centered everything. No cuts on any wood other than the rafters. Angles only. The door with be a regular hinge type on one side, with a slider on the other where the support beam is. Need to scratch build that too.

Carried everything by hand to site, which is off on the side of our house in the woods.

I am not a carpenter but can use a hammer with difficulty and a circular saw with some accuracy.

Measuring everything three or four times helped. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Mike Z.

If the weather breaks I'll get more pics. The inside is 21a crush. About three S-10's so far, with maybe two loads to go.
The posts are all set in concrete, of course. If I can figure out how to get concrete back there, I might tackle that too. Why not? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Pole barn pics?
Mike,

How far apart are the rafters?
Any idea how much this has cost you so far?

Thanks!
Cort

/ Pole barn pics? #9  
Cort,

The 2x6 rafters are 8 feet apart. They are screwed into the 4X4 poles, and the 2x12 top. Since they stradle the 4x4 they are "blocked" with a small 2x4 at the top and middle.

Cost so far is about 2500.00 with the roof and T-111 coming in
just under a grand. The T-111 was/is sticker shock at over 22 bucks a panel.

Now if I had a "contractor" discount at the HD I probably could have saved more.

-Mike Z.

I guess on Thursday and Friday I will see what kind of carpenter I really am. Seems we are right in the path of
Isabel.
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Pole barn pics? #10  
Dont worry about the coming winds Bud.......maybe a tree falling on it; but the way you screwed everything down it will be just fine.........Excellent JOB