Pole shed update - Pics

/ Pole shed update - Pics #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hi Folks, here area few pics of my in progress project, my son (13) and I are building it. Thanks to all the good folks here for the tips on putting up the ridge beam, we got it up (amongs other things) this weekend with no trouble by building in place. We made "saddles" at the top of the 12' posts to hold the ridge beam.

Ill be bolting the beams to the 6x6 posts next.

You'll see lots of temporary 2x4 bracing in there too at the moment, that will come out later after all the walls etc arre properly braced

Attachments

• barn1.jpg
    barn1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 384
  • barn4.jpg
    barn4.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 340
  • barn3.jpg
    barn3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 355
  • barn2.jpg
    barn2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 506
   / Pole shed update - Pics #2  
Looking good! What a great project to be working on with your son. He'll remember helping you build that all of his life.

Nice looking area too. Keep up the good work.

/ Pole shed update - Pics
Looking good! What a great project to be working on with your son. He'll remember helping you build that all of his life.

Nice looking area too. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I love working with him, he's a good lad, worked his tail off this weekend, we did 10 hours both days.

It's a beautiful area, here's a shot from the hill behind the old barn

Attachments

• farm view 1.jpg
    farm view 1.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 288
Next Question is on best way to join the rafters to the Ridge Beam. Ridge Beam is 4 1/2" thick (tripple laminated 2x8"), I know of 2 ways to join the rafters to it. see pics below, which is best for me (using 2x8 rafters): Butted to the Ridge or On Top of the ridge ?

Attachments

• rafterandridge.jpg
    rafterandridge.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Rafter and Ridge 2.jpg
    Rafter and Ridge 2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 524
   / Pole shed update - Pics #5  
Hi...If your not going to have ceiling joist or collar ties... the first pic(rafters setting on top of beam) is the way I would do it

Thanks, I will have collar ties as well, But I suppose the first picture, Rafters on top of the beam is still the best way to go ?

/ Pole shed update - Pics #7  
Thanks, I will have collar ties as well, But I suppose the first picture, Rafters on top of the beam is still the best way to go ?

What kind of roofing are you putting on? Rafters on top will require a sharp fold of you ridge caps peices, while rafters on the side give you some width to fold over the top at a lesser fold but you will need something wider to cover the span of the wide ridge beam.

Purlins , followed by Metal roofing with metal ridge Cap.

slope of roof is about 4:12 or so, so even with rafters on top the bend should be fine I think.