Polishing weather beaten lexan headlight lens

/ Polishing weather beaten lexan headlight lens #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
For years I have been polishing up yellowed and dull plastic headlight covers using Mothers Chrome wheel polish and a dry sponge. It works but takes quite a while to do.
Recently while cleaning out my motorhome, I found some red and some white buffing compound and tried it out on my camper. Using a scotch brite scrubbing pad that I also found and some red buffing compound, it took only a couple of minutes to get it clear. I followed that with a 2 minute scrubbing with the white compound and they looked like new.

I later found my old sponge wheel that I had fitted to my 20v battery operated drill and went over to my neighbor who has an almost identical RV to mine and polished up one of his lights also. It took me only 2-3 minutes from start to finish using the scrub pad then the drill with the pad and white compound. I left one so he could see the difference. I will go over this morning and polish the other one.

You really don't need to spend $20 (or more) on the "kit" for polishing headlights. Most people have all the tools needed to polish lights up without buying any thing else.

/ Polishing weather beaten lexan headlight lens #2  
Agree that there is nothing magic about the expensive headlight restoration kits... I have also wet sanded plastic with 800-1300 grit paper with good results. FYI I saw a YouTube video some time ago that also recommended finishing off with clear acrylic spray paint to keep the headlights like new and also filling in the microscopic surface scratches for a nice finish. I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my short list for my 97 F150.

/ Polishing weather beaten lexan headlight lens #3  
A friend bought a Kia that had yellowed lights and asked how to clear.
Since I used to restore aircraft windshields I had some answers.

Said I'd bring some buffing compound next day but suggested that chalk, even toothpaste could do the job.
Well dang it all next day his wife diligently buffed with toothpaste and and he had the nicest lens ever!

Back then we'd use McGuire's paste until we discovered that it was merely wax with a mild rubbing compound, and that include toothpaste and or chalk, there are also some wax sticks like jouler's rouge etc that will also do the trick.

Finish off the job with a spray can of clear coat and your lens will be like new!

/ Polishing weather beaten lexan headlight lens #4  
I'll stray a little for a funny story about headlight capsules.

My son hit a turkey and broke one. I go down to my local auto parts emporium. They had 2 available. One was about twice the price as the other. I asked which one did they recommend. The reply was "do you want the cheap one or the one that fits?" I went away with the one that fit.:laughing:

Now back to polishing.

/ Polishing weather beaten lexan headlight lens #5  
I tried that on my 95 F150, can't do the inside where they are yellow as well:confused3:

/ Polishing weather beaten lexan headlight lens #6  
I tried that on my 95 F150, can't do the inside where they are yellow as well:confused3:

Probably not on that model, no. But on a Kubota tractor with lights fogged up inside, I got the bulb out and discovered the fogging was some sort of condensation residue. A stick and a rag with some soap and water cleaned things back to new.

Last edited:
   / Polishing weather beaten lexan headlight lens
That is a first for me, never seen one yellow on the inside like that.
I cant see the need for paint on the lens, if it is polished correctly, there wont be any scratches to fill in. I think that paint would be a nightmare to get remove completely when it starts to come off in a few months.