Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths”

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #131  
Do you guys really believe one brand (perhaps your brand) has it all figured out and most/all of the others don't? Come on….really?
I have owned operated like 20 brands and nearly all had mechanical failures or disappointments.
I found Deere to have a lower rate of failure and disappointment than Kubota in MY experience. However, I am certain there are plenty of people who have has the opposite experience.

Like when I talk about a Ram/Cummins truck versus a Ford/Powerstroke truck. I like the Ram because the Cummins is an in-line 6 cylinder and prefer the way it pulls. It’s not really so much “better” as it is “better for my taste”. I also like that the warranty at the time was longer and the GCWR at the time was higher.

I know both trucks, on average are about 98% similar given same options and purchase price.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #132  
What size, what color, how equipped, what do I need? All questions a good dealer rep will answer and hopefully honestly, if they expect a customer to return and support their business. Of course there will always be those that will only credit the brand they are selling and point out all the bad of other brands. If they are truthful they will point out advantages of any brand whether the one they are selling or the competition. Though that usually doesn't happen.
As for me two dollars to put in my wallet at one time is usually a rare occurrence. Having been raised on a farm with big green two cylinders, a Ford 8N and a G Allis Chalmers, then going to work for a MM and MF dealer I found some advantages to all makes as we repaired what could be driven or drug in the door.
With this knowledge and being cheap, not wanting to go into debt, I found a TO35 I could trade a garden tractor for. Found cleaning the carb and tuning up the distributor it ran and did all I needed a tractor for. About ten years later found a 245 diesel for eight hundred, yeah the engine was bad. So repaired the engine, the found the scotch yoke pump needed repaired. Did that too. Then found a 232 loader for $2500. Finally got a unit I have always wanted---- Well a year ago C4 disintegrated and needed replaced, so that shot almost a whole year of getting out to run the tractor. Occasionally my son would exercise it as he had projects, but my corn patch just didn't make but one ear!!
With that said I really don't want new-- too costly, and too many "controls". My Masseys are something that is fairly easy to repair, and parts are usually cheap and plentiful at salvage yards. Be sides I am too danged old to want to do a lot anymore even if I can get out and enjoy riding or driving my tractors. And I still want to turn a few wrenches before I have to stop altogether. Time will tell when I need to park the tractor and close the tool boxes for the last time, but I hope it's not too soon.
Interesting a neighbor about my age, his son took over the farm and bout a cab tractor, a while back the elder said he was going to take a non cab tractor and do some work. Well the son said but dad that tractor doesn't have a cab, Dad said yes I know I've ran that tractor for many years before cabs were a thing.

So If you ask for help be prepared for advise, use what you feel applies to your situation, discard the rest, Check out, drive, test, inspect and buy what you feel fits your situation. If it is wrong you can change accordingly. Last I looked this is still America and we have some freedom to do as we wnt to. Just be aware there are those that want to sell you into giving them your money, with little in return.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #133  
These are my opinions. There are tons of newbees getting into CUTs and hobby farms; I think it is time to review some “facts”. At the very least I look at this like PCs now - buy what works for YOU!!

“Never ending ‘add this’”. I was on a budget of $25k in 2019 and made it. Just barely. Cab? Nice to have, would have added $5k or more and weight (see below). More hp? I bought 35; mine was available in 40 (same machine otherwise) for $2k more; couldn’t stay in budget. Weight? Frame? Even more hp. See next comment

“Get as big as you can” aka “get one size bigger than what you think you need”. Not for me. I’m a hobby farmer. With 14 acres of prairie to mow and generally keep up with I chose 35hp hst. The perfect machine for me. Would I like to have more hp? Once in a blue moon when grass gets really high and I have to slow down, but so what? Doesn’t affect loader work. And a bigger frame to allow more loader capacity isn’t really a need either (besides I bought kioti with best in class lift already). An extra hour added to 12 hours of mowing 4-5x/year is negligible. Besides I LIKE riding and using my machine!!

“Non-tractor considerations”

“Truck”. I have a 2005 small block f150. I have no plans or other need to replace it. But I can only pull 6700#. Going larger frame or bigger trailer etc would mean a different truck if I EVER need to pull it

“Trailer”. For me 7k is enough. Sure 10k is nicer. And 14k as well. But also heavier and this impacts total towing weight (see truck comments above) plus more $.

“Dealer importance”. I’ve been back twice in 5 years. Didn’t and don’t care. It’s a hobby farm; I don’t need to rely on my dealer nor build a relationship. My CUT is not used for my livelihood and if I don’t have it for a couple of weeks it is simply an inconvenience not a problem. I bought the best deal and shooed dealers until I got it.

“Resale”. I didn’t and don’t care. Some do. For me I wanted a machine to last for 20 years not to trade out like a car (which I don’t do either). Besides kioti sells (or sold) for 80% of a similar kubota new. Most of them near me sell for 80% of similar kubota used. So yes they resell for less but they cost less up front and retain about the same overall percentage value.

“Weight vs affordability.” I bought the kioti ck3510. Love it. Sure I’d like to have had the dk for more weight and larger frame. But extra $ and extra weight driving me to a bigger trailer for more $ and a new truck for more $

“Don’t buy new, buy used implements”. Have you really looked lately - like in the last 6 months?They aren’t the same prices they were 5 years ago; heck not even the same price as 1 year ago. And availability isn’t good either; people recognize what they have and are hanging onto them, or selling for extra $. It may still be cheaper to buy used but that’s IF you can find it.

“Xxx hasn’t been around as long as JD or Kubota.” So what. For CUTs those names aren’t the same as they were nor the same as their real Ag machines. The one I chose - kioti - has been in the US for more than 30 years; I’ll likely have left my machine to my survivors in 30 years. And EVERY brand has recalls, detractors, supporters, and (especially since 2021) parts issues.
What do you mean by CUTs?

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #134  
These are my opinions. There are tons of newbees getting into CUTs and hobby farms; I think it is time to review some “facts”. At the very least I look at this like PCs now - buy what works for YOU!!

“Never ending ‘add this’”. I was on a budget of $25k in 2019 and made it. Just barely. Cab? Nice to have, would have added $5k or more and weight (see below). More hp? I bought 35; mine was available in 40 (same machine otherwise) for $2k more; couldn’t stay in budget. Weight? Frame? Even more hp. See next comment

“Get as big as you can” aka “get one size bigger than what you think you need”. Not for me. I’m a hobby farmer. With 14 acres of prairie to mow and generally keep up with I chose 35hp hst. The perfect machine for me. Would I like to have more hp? Once in a blue moon when grass gets really high and I have to slow down, but so what? Doesn’t affect loader work. And a bigger frame to allow more loader capacity isn’t really a need either (besides I bought kioti with best in class lift already). An extra hour added to 12 hours of mowing 4-5x/year is negligible. Besides I LIKE riding and using my machine!!

“Non-tractor considerations”

“Truck”. I have a 2005 small block f150. I have no plans or other need to replace it. But I can only pull 6700#. Going larger frame or bigger trailer etc would mean a different truck if I EVER need to pull it

“Trailer”. For me 7k is enough. Sure 10k is nicer. And 14k as well. But also heavier and this impacts total towing weight (see truck comments above) plus more $.

“Dealer importance”. I’ve been back twice in 5 years. Didn’t and don’t care. It’s a hobby farm; I don’t need to rely on my dealer nor build a relationship. My CUT is not used for my livelihood and if I don’t have it for a couple of weeks it is simply an inconvenience not a problem. I bought the best deal and shooed dealers until I got it.

“Resale”. I didn’t and don’t care. Some do. For me I wanted a machine to last for 20 years not to trade out like a car (which I don’t do either). Besides kioti sells (or sold) for 80% of a similar kubota new. Most of them near me sell for 80% of similar kubota used. So yes they resell for less but they cost less up front and retain about the same overall percentage value.

“Weight vs affordability.” I bought the kioti ck3510. Love it. Sure I’d like to have had the dk for more weight and larger frame. But extra $ and extra weight driving me to a bigger trailer for more $ and a new truck for more $

“Don’t buy new, buy used implements”. Have you really looked lately - like in the last 6 months?They aren’t the same prices they were 5 years ago; heck not even the same price as 1 year ago. And availability isn’t good either; people recognize what they have and are hanging onto them, or selling for extra $. It may still be cheaper to buy used but that’s IF you can find it.

“Xxx hasn’t been around as long as JD or Kubota.” So what. For CUTs those names aren’t the same as they were nor the same as their real Ag machines. The one I chose - kioti - has been in the US for more than 30 years; I’ll likely have left my machine to my survivors in 30 years. And EVERY brand has recalls, detractors, supporters, and (especially since 2021) parts issues.
Good read. I bought a used Montana 70hp with cab. I need the 70hp for my baler otherwise I would have done what you did. I like new but I own some older- maintenance is always a consideration.
On the tractor mine has a JD engine and drivetrain but it’s a TYN assembly and with 2100 hours it’s just running and operating perfectly- I am under $20K (not much) and that was my budget. I believe you are spot on with the budget as the way to go. I’m not seeing any different operations between the different tractors and budget goes a long way. Thank you for your post

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #135  
What do you mean by CUTs?
CUTs = Compact Utility Tractors: Most of the modern sub 50 hp tractors are CUTS
SCUTs are the even smaller tractors, some just a little bigger than a ride on mower. SCUT = Sub-Compact Utility Tractor

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #136  
Hey, I got front AND rear floor mats thrown in when I bought my F150.
My salesman just got fired because he was honest with customers and told them not to buy all the "extra's" the dealership tries to force you to buy.

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #137  
I have said on here many times that you dont need a 40 hp tractot for 3 acres, We have 360 acres of hunting property to maintain, We do have several 40 hp tractors and they get the job done , Would bigger be better for us ? for sure, But on 10 acres or less a 25 hp compact would be plenty,
imho tractor choice is about application, not a ratio of acreage to tractor size. 360 acre game plot application is different than intensive agri application on much less acreage. regards

/ Post COVID CUT tractoring “truths” #140  
imho tractor choice is about application, not a ratio of acreage to tractor size. 360 acre game plot application is different than intensive agri application on much less acreage. regards
Right, It's a big country, and hard to judge one area's needs by another. Here in the rocky mountains a 5 acre parcel is common, and there is plenty of need for a big tractor. 90 hp is handy.
I've got several neighbors with smaller places on the creek who have full size TLBs for long driveways, steep slopes, deep snow, heavy trees and rocks, that sort of thing.