Posting Spreadsheets as attachment

/ Posting Spreadsheets as attachment #1  

Surge

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TA 210
I have posted pictures before, can Excel spreadsheets be attached to a post?

/ Posting Spreadsheets as attachment #2  
<font color=blue>can Excel spreadsheets be attached to a post? </font color=blue>
I looked through the FAQ and only .gif and .jpg files can be attached to a post. You could rename your spreadsheet file to have a .gif or .jpg suffix and post it. But then you would have to tell people to download it and rename it to be able to use it.

/ Posting Spreadsheets as attachment #3  
<font color=blue>only .gif and .jpg files can be attached to a post</font color=blue>

And yet we just recently saw a PDF file successfully uploaded.

I've lost track of what can and cannot be attached, but I'm sure Muhammad will jump in and clarify.

Seems like most any file could be uploaded (if permitted), but it would probably be best to draw the line at viruses. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Posting Spreadsheets as attachment #4  
I was rejected once while trying to save a spreadsheet in .htm format and use it as an attachment. The message I got was:

<font color=blue>We encountered a problem. The reason reported was:

The files you may upload must have the following extension: .zip,.txt,.gif,.jpg,.jpeg,.bmp,.wav,.mp3,.mpeg,.mpg,.avi,.pdf,.png </font color=blue>.

Harv, as you noted, .pdf files are acceptable. Adobe .pdf files are probably the most readable for the most people, yet to generate one you need the full $ version of Adobe, not just the freeware version.

/ Posting Spreadsheets as attachment #5  
The "FREEWARE" version will be able to create a read-only version of a .pdf file. I don't have the link to the program I use right now -- that is at work. If you are still having no luck by tomorrow, I'll try and remember to post that information.

/ Posting Spreadsheets as attachment #6  
Here's a Win2PDF. It installs as a printer driver.

/ Posting Spreadsheets as attachment #7  
Muhammad just enabled .xls attachments for the site. I just attached a comparison of 38-40hp shuttleshift pricing under the general buying/pricing forum if you want to try it.
Mark