Potty Training For A New Holland?

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
May be a little difficult to see in the photo but appears to be a cotter key installed in the transmission pan from inside. Notice the oil accumulation on the ends of the cotter.
It's not a bad leak by any stretch but enough to leave a spot on concrete.
I'm wondering, first of all, what is the purpose of the cotter pin, and secondly where the oil would be coming from?
I'm considering a "diaper" about 6" square of oil absorbing material held in place with three or four small magnets. Anyone ever done this? I realize that is treating the symptom rather than the disease.

Edit: I see the picture is showing inverted. (Just imagine negative gravity. :))
Edit: This is a New Holland TC29DA.

Attachments

• TC29DA-LEAK1.jpg
    TC29DA-LEAK1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 233
   / Potty Training For A New Holland? #2  
A loose cotter pin that can move around is a common way to keep a small drain hole from plugging.

Bruce

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #3  
A loose cotter pin that can move around is a common way to keep a small drain hole from plugging.

Bruce

Yep:thumbsup:

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #4  
My old Kubota had a similar cotter pin installed in the bell housing under the clutch. It shouldn't be weeping oil. These are usually to allow water to drain and prevent damage to the clutch. I learned this the hard way...

Talk to your dealer about the oil weepage. It may be a sign of some other problem that should be looked at.

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #5  
It's probably the same reason MF tractors have had a cotter pin under the clutch housing for 60 years. To let any oil that leaks from the rear engine seal or trans. seal drain out so it doesn't get on the clutch. Like was said the cotter pin keeps the hole from plugging. If it's a real minor leak don't worry about it too much. If it's a steady drip, then you need to split the tractor to fix it.

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #6  
As all the others said the cotter pin keeps the hole open. Mud dabbers will fill it solid if you remove the cotter pin. Determine if engine oil or trans oil and you will know which seal is leaking.

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #7  
Bruce

Awsome. Will keep that in my bag of tricks. If I can find the bag.

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #8  
Noooo! That is the top secret key that holds the whole tractor together! At least that was what I was told when I first purchased the 1952 Ford 8N. If you remove it....the whole shebang will fall apart into pieces. :D

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #9  
It appears to be hydraulic oil. Likely a seal leaking. Unless the leak gets worse I wouldn't bother changing it. It's a lot of work.

/ Potty Training For A New Holland? #10  
If it is a super slow leak, it will be less $$ in the long run to add a bit of oil to the reservoir than to split the tractor and install a new seal. Cost/risk vs. benefit call on your part.