poured oil in the fluid hole...whooops

/ poured oil in the fluid hole...whooops #1  

DJ4wd

Bronze Member
Tractor
Rhino International 3224
The short story is while being guided by the previous owner I was toping off the Hydraulic oil, when it occurred that there was a similar fill hole not far away, I poured 2 gallons of Hydraulic oil in the fill hole behind the shifter. Now my first thought was it was that low maybe it wont matter, but of course Im worried about it. Thoughts?

/ poured oil in the fluid hole...whooops #2  
What tractor?

/ poured oil in the fluid hole...whooops #3  
You need to find out what you dumped the hydraulic oil into (tranny?) and what it uses for lube. Was it 2 gallons low (that seems like a lot) or is it now over filled?

It's way cheaper and easier to drain it out and put the right lube back than repair a trans.

/ poured oil in the fluid hole...whooops
I knew the hudraulic oil was leaking and therfor low when I bought it. In a hasty moment I poured 2 gallons of oil in the trans. I ran it for 4 hrs or so before I met with the previous owner and found out my mistake. I just got of the phone with him, and he said its also called a Rhino 324, even though the side and plate reads 3224
32HP 4wd

/ poured oil in the fluid hole...whooops #5  
I would drain the tranny. Look carefully at the drain plugs; you may have 2 or 3. Lots of oil and it comes out real fast. The lowest point should be the four wheel drive gear under the tranny, drain that last, oil comes out FAST!
To refill, know in advance how much oil is needed. Some tranny have 2 compartments, the first will fill fast, the second fills from the first slowly and you will need to keep toping off the first compartment. Be aware of the markings on the dipstick, and do remember to replace the drain plugs before refilling.

/ poured oil in the fluid hole...whooops
Thanks for the info. How much fluid would you think it might take? Would I be ok with a 5 gallon bucket of Hydo fluid.
I was wondering, how much of a difference would it make to leave it in? It was 2 gallons low to begin with and I could top it off with the fluid. My guess would be its leaking anyway.