Power loss in reverse

/ Power loss in reverse #1  

luciensRide

Hi all -
New to TBN and a new (to me) PT 2430 from 2006.
Love this site and all the great input from loyal owners!
I've been enjoying my PT and using it for gravel moving, leveling, brush mowing and rock removal/moving. It's been great but recently it has no power in reverse when I'm using any attachment (even just carrying dirt in the bucket). Sometimes it will move at a slow pace, other times it simply won't go and will stall if I keep at it.
I've checked the oil level. Any other thoughts on where/what I should be looking for?

Many thanks
Ray

/ Power loss in reverse #2  
Welcome to TBN. :thumbsup:

I don't have that model of PT, so I'll ask a couple questions. Don't mind if they seem amateurish, as I don't know your level of knowledge and I was in I.T. for 25 years, so I always start with "Have you tried turning it off and then on again" type questions. :laughing:

First, the obvious.... Is the treadle stuck or blocked from going into full reverse?

Is your unit's treadle connected to a cable (the hydroback cable) for directional control?
OR
Is your unit's treadle a valve-type treadle, with hoses connected to it that control direction?

/ Power loss in reverse #3  
If you have a hydraulic treadle that is potentially the problem. Take it out and tear down. Probably a bit of dirt

Likewise. Make sure you replace your fuel filter and strainer. Don't ask me how I know this but diesels will run with massively blocked filters.

/ Power loss in reverse
Thank you both. I'm def a newbie to pt ownership and troubleshooting so worries about basic questions. I bought about 4 months ago and since then I've replace the starter and solenoid, changed the oil and diesel filters, changed the oil, repaired a flat tire. Now I'm onto this.
I'll take the treadle apart and see where that leads. Also, I found an old post (2014) from Russ321 that had some great troubleshooting ideas from some of you which i plan to try as well. More to come...

/ Power loss in reverse #5  
Great! Keep in touch. The more info we share, the less time we spend scratching our heads. :confused3:

/ Power loss in reverse #6  
Welcom!

I've had a small pebble get stuck under the treadle...made for a WTH moment when reverse suddenly didn't work. Then it happened with stuck whil brush cutting and then... You get the idea.

All the best,
Peter