Power questions on 25hp Subaru

/ Power questions on 25hp Subaru #1  

Impulse

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-425 (2017)
I'm interested in upgrading the lighting situation on my PT-425. I was going to replace the stock lights with LED pods, and hoping to have the juice for an LED bar on the rops and another pod or two I can turn on for reversing.

From this page, it seems stock it is 12V@15A, so 180 Watts. Lower on the page it seems there is an option for 30 amps (360 Watts). I don't know if the machine came with that option or not. How much power can be drawn and still be able to keep battery charged?

Any tips on what to keep my wattage limited to?

/ Power questions on 25hp Subaru #2  
Don't forget that you need to recharge your battery after starting, and that running the fan will take quite a few amps.

All the best,

Peter

/ Power questions on 25hp Subaru #3  
The two FOPS mounted LED lights provide plenty of illumination. I have never felt i needed more than that. I never turn on my factory lights except when i am showing people the difference. There are much more powerful LEDs available now as well. But maybe you have needs that are different than mine.

Ken

/ Power questions on 25hp Subaru #4  
I would probably not pull more than 10 Amps on this system with lights. But that is a TON of light. I would remove your incandescents, those pull so much power for so little return. I ran 27 watt led worklights and they were great, but as technology changed I have jumped up 50 watt LED's but then again I have 65amp alternator.

So, put lights facing both ways under your ROPS (drill into the hood, not the rollbar). chuck your incy's and you will be squared away. Oh, I used black silicone to glue / cover my wires up the rops. I do not advise drilling but that is my own personal hysteria.

/ Power questions on 25hp Subaru
I called Terry today. The PT-425, at least currently, ships with the 30 amp upgrade. He also said each of the current lights (Halogen?) draws about 50 Watts. I want to see what the fan draws and then see where I stand. Keeping it at 100 Watts is probably a good idea. Thanks for the input!

/ Power questions on 25hp Subaru #6  
On my 2001 PT425 it came from the factory with pretty standard 35W incandescent tractor lights. So, 70 watts draw. I added two more under the ROPS, so 140W draw.

In November of 2014, after breaking a couple of the lights in the woods, I ordered these
Amazon.com: Signstek 2*18W CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black): Automotive

and put two under the ROPS.

The TWO of the LEDS are brighter than FOUR of the incandescent bulbs...... and they are only 18W each, so 36 watts total draw for better lighting.

They are $17.00 for a TWO PACK!!! :thumbsup:

/ Power questions on 25hp Subaru #7  
I put those exact lights on my truck as additional reverse lights. Impressive as all heck

/ Power questions on 25hp Subaru
Lol, those are same as what I put on pontoon boat to bring it in at night. Great minds...

From what I could find, cooler fan draws <8 amps, figure save 6 for battery charging, that gives me 16 amps to work with (192 watts). This is assumed at full throttle. I don't know if it is a direct relation of 1/2 throttle = 1/2 power output but I assume so. I think the 100 watt max is a good point to aim for. Would probably update switches so could be controlled independently. I want the option of turning it to daylight around the machine! (Even if only for a short time)