Predator 670CC 22 HP engine Re-Power on Cub Cadet 2284 tractor mower.

/ Predator 670CC 22 HP engine Re-Power on Cub Cadet 2284 tractor mower. #1  

Kmicah40

Tractor
John Deere 5320, ‘56 Ford 601 (been in family since new), 2010 Kubota 900RTV, Cub Cadet 2284, Cub Cadet 2064
Let me start by saying if I had a fair level yard to mow this Predator 22 HP twin cylinder engine would be a great re-power engine for my tractor mower. In my case I have what most would say is a very steep area that I mow. Therefore I have two major problems with the Predator engine on my 2284 mower. Both of my issues are related to the engine oil and how the level of the oil inside the engine is handled. The first issue I had after installing the engine was each time the tractor would be mowing going up a hill and the climb was greater than 20 or 25 feet the engine would start to stall and lots of white smoke would be coming out of the engine. After researching this issue with online problem solvers they seemed to think this engine was not designed to be used but in a stand alone level situations only. Reason they say that is because the vacumn hose that connects the carburetor to the engine cavity (to burn off inside the engine fumes) is located close to the back side of engine. Therefore when mowing uphill the oil level inside the engine submerged the vacumn hose resulting in oil being sucked into the carburetor which caused the white smoke and engine stalling. One online gentleman said he resolved this issue on his mower by disconnecting the hose from the carburetor and had the hose connected to a clear glass container and that way the oil would be going inside the container and not through the carburetor. (I know this is against EPA regulations). But it worked for my tractor mower and no more smoke or engine trying to stall. Now to second issue. With the engine now running great while mowing up hill I started to get engine shouting down going down hill. So I solicited help from online problem solvers on why this was happening. Once again this was due to the engine not being in a somewhat level position but pointing downhill. The engine oil level sensor detected low on oil and was like a kill switch and shut the engine down. And as long as the tractor was pointing downwards it would not restart. The only way to restart the engine was to get the sucker in a level position and it would start. They said disconnect the oil level sensor and that would take care of of this problem.

So here is I am pumping oil from the engine into a class container and a disconnected oil level switch. Now my only means to know if I might need to add oil to the engine is to monitor how much oil I have in my glass container.

My solution being my yard is long way from being flat is to re-power again and go back to the original type engine that came on the tractor. I have Predator engines on water pump and generator and they work great but they are in a somewhat level position when being used.

Thanks, and hope this might help someone thinking of re-power a lawn mower.

/ Predator 670CC 22 HP engine Re-Power on Cub Cadet 2284 tractor mower. #2  
Duplicate post ?

/ Predator 670CC 22 HP engine Re-Power on Cub Cadet 2284 tractor mower.
Let me start by saying if I had a fair level yard to mow this Predator 22 HP twin cylinder engine would be a great re-power engine for my tractor mower. In my case I have what most would say is a very steep area that I mow. Therefore I have two major problems with the Predator engine on my 2284 mower. Both of my issues are related to the engine oil and how the level of the oil inside the engine is handled. The first issue I had after installing the engine was each time the tractor would be mowing going up a hill and the climb was greater than 20 or 25 feet the engine would start to stall and lots of white smoke would be coming out of the engine. After researching this issue with online problem solvers they seemed to think this engine was not designed to be used but in a stand alone level situations only. Reason they say that is because the vacumn hose that connects the carburetor to the engine cavity (to burn off inside the engine fumes) is located close to the back side of engine. Therefore when mowing uphill the oil level inside the engine submerged the vacumn hose resulting in oil being sucked into the carburetor which caused the white smoke and engine stalling. One online gentleman said he resolved this issue on his mower by disconnecting the hose from the carburetor and had the hose connected to a clear glass container and that way the oil would be going inside the container and not through the carburetor. (I know this is against EPA regulations). But it worked for my tractor mower and no more smoke or engine trying to stall. Now to second issue. With the engine now running great while mowing up hill I started to get engine shouting down going down hill. So I solicited help from online problem solvers on why this was happening. Once again this was due to the engine not being in a somewhat level position but pointing downhill. The engine oil level sensor detected low on oil and was like a kill switch and shut the engine down. And as long as the tractor was pointing downwards it would not restart. The only way to restart the engine was to get the sucker in a level position and it would start. They said disconnect the oil level sensor and that would take care of of this problem.

So here is I am pumping oil from the engine into a class container and a disconnected oil level switch. Now my only means to know if I might need to add oil to the engine is to monitor how much oil I have in my glass container.

My solution being my yard is long way from being flat is to re-power again and go back to the original type engine that came on the tractor. I have Predator engines on water pump and generator and they work great but they are in a somewhat level position when being used.

Thanks, and hope this might help someone thinking of re-power a lawn mower.
Duplicate post ?
I know, but could not find way to delete.

/ Predator 670CC 22 HP engine Re-Power on Cub Cadet 2284 tractor mower. #4  
I think you're going to have to find a higher area on the block to ventilate the motor if possible and plug the existing rubber tube