Pressure test gauge rig.

/ Pressure test gauge rig. #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Wanted to check hydraulic pressure on Kubota B21.

Thinking to build a test gauge rig that will plug into the Back Hoe circuit at the supply quick connect. Basically a T fitting, pressure gauge and the appropriate quick connects. Unplug the BH supply, plug this in and the BH into it. That is not the way Kubota says to test it, but seem it should work?

/ Pressure test gauge rig. #2  
The backhoe valve has relief valves with every function being a different pressure. And the supply line is a open center line. It would maybe sorta work to establish the tractor relief setting but that’s about it.

/ Pressure test gauge rig.
The backhoe valve has relief valves with every function being a different pressure. And the supply line is a open center line. It would maybe sorta work to establish the tractor relief setting but that’s about it.
Not following. The line I am referring to is the one that is looped back to the tractor when the BH is removed for 3pt hitch use.

I would be using it just to set the pump running pressure and then removing it. Of course I am a bit tired so may not be explaining or thinking clearly.

/ Pressure test gauge rig. #4  
I believe that your tractor has an open center hydraulic system in it.
You will have minimal pressure in that loop until it is restricted. Some place there are relief valves for when a cylinder reaches max or minimum stroke and the control valve is held in position.
The loop you wish to use would require a restriction and a relief to do what you wish to. The old hydraulic flow and pressure testers did that function .

I believe that your tractor has an open center hydraulic system in it.
You will have minimal pressure in that loop until it is restricted. Some place there are relief valves for when a cylinder reaches max or minimum stroke and the control valve is held in position.
The loop you wish to use would require a restriction and a relief to do what you wish to. The old hydraulic flow and pressure testers did that function .
So, might be a bit dicey. Better to figure the fittings I need to plug into the factory specified port.

IIRC it is plugged, so someday I should pull it out an measure up what I need.

The TSM calls for a specific adapter, but no longer available. Appears to be just an adapter to connect pressure gauge to test port and allow adjustment.

07916-52391 superseded by 77700-T0077. Just knowing the threads for the case side should be enough. If anyone happens to know.

/ Pressure test gauge rig. #7  
THere is no reason to "T" into a hydraulic line unless you want full time monitoring, easy enough to just add gauge into a quick connect/disconnect and deadhead the flow into gauge for just enough time to get gauge reading.....

And just a note the "primary system" relief valve is usually ahead of FEL valve or at the FEL valve....

Last edited:
   / Pressure test gauge rig. #8  
Wanted to check hydraulic pressure on Kubota B21.

Thinking to build a test gauge rig that will plug into the Back Hoe circuit at the supply quick connect. Basically a T fitting, pressure gauge and the appropriate quick connects. Unplug the BH supply, plug this in and the BH into it. That is not the way Kubota says to test it, but seem it should work?
Yes, the way you describe it will work just fine. Nothing else is needed. Use a hydraulic rated T fitting - not plumbing or the brass adapters at the hardware store. The T will not affect pressure to the system, and the gauge will tell you what the pressure is at that point - which is basically a measure of the resistance to flow in the system downstream of the T. You can leave the gauge in place indefintely or even plumb it as a dash gauge.

The gauge itself should be a 5000 psi type. Either glycerine damped or not..your choice.
They are inexpensive. The entire rig and a handfulof adapters will cost less than $50. Amazon has test kits already made up, although not all of their kits have properly threaded Ts.

You can use this T and gauge anywhere, but it is best in the pressure input port to a set or valves or a cylinder. No, it does not need a relief valve when inserting a T fitting. The relief already in the circuit protects it.
enjoy,
rScotty