Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24

/ Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24 #1  

radioflyertoo

Tractor
Kubota BX24
I have a strange(?) problem with the hour/RPM gauge - some times it works as described, but usually shows all 8's. When it works the RPM's seem correct and the hour readout is correct. The BX24 has ~ 12 hours total.

The only time is seems to operate correctly is if the BX has been run for a while shut off and then restarted with a 6 sec lag between before aactual start. If I do this it will show hours and RPM's, but after a while the gauge goes 8's. :confused: I know I need to contact the dealer but if there is a quick fix I'll do it myself. ( I did do a search but couldn't find anything related to this problem)

Any Ideas??

Bob

/ Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24 #2  
No actual experience with this problems, but it sounds like an electrical glitch.

Most gltiches are related to a poor connection (s) and or low voltage. Check all the wires to be sure that they are tight. Check the ground connection for the battery, grind off paint and coat with dielectric grease. Check the wire harness grounds.

Are you starting it while the glow plug light is on? That may drop the batt voltage enough to confuse the system.

HTH

jb

/ Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24 #3  
radioflyertoo said:
I have a strange(?) problem with the hour/RPM gauge - some times it works as described, but usually shows all 8's... Any Ideas??

I suggest that you ask the dealer to replace the cluster free of charge under warranty. The original cluster tends to accumulate moisture inside. You will need the BX24 Cluster Kit - Part number K2581-6250-2. If the dealer were to give you the part, you could replace it yourself within a few minutes.

/ Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24 #4  
My dealer just changed mine out (under warranty).

Good news .... it now works

Bad news .... the hours were reset to zero so keep track of how many hours you had.

/ Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24 #5  
bx24 said:
My dealer just changed mine out (under warranty).

Good news .... it now works

Bad news .... the hours were reset to zero so keep track of how many hours you had.

I had the same problem, and received the above solution. It works perfectly now, before it was very intermittent.

/ Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24
Thank you all. I'll check for a loose connection first. Then call the dealer if no joy.

Bob

/ Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24 #7  
radioflyertoo said:
... I'll check for a loose connection first...

Bob, there is a single modular plug for all the connections going to the cluster. That plug is held securely in place by an integrated clip that can make it difficult to remove without first lifting out the entire cluster.

/ Problem with hour/RPM gauge on BX 24 #8  
bx24 said:
... the hours were reset to zero ...

You are absolutely correct, and that fact should worry "would be" used BX tractor buyers right now and further down the road.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to set the hourmeter on the new cluster to show the correct hours on the used tractor in question; nor are dealers presently required to afix a sticker to the tractor revealing what the true "hours in use" really are once a new cluster has been installed. If that's true, then it may constitute an important policy failure at Kubota.

Given that the entire cluster can easily be replaced within a minute or so, the above failure may result in present and future buyers of used BXs paying more than they would or should for tractors that have much higher hours that in actual fact... If you are thinking of buying one of the newer used BXs, you will have to ask yourself if this used BX has 10 hours or 1000 hours of use, and look beyond the hourmeter for signs of wear and tear.

I know that the above problem is not new, however it may now become a lot more frequent given the ease and speed with which entire clusters can be replaced... "Caveat Emptor".