problems with my 165 MF

/ problems with my 165 MF #1  

fedo2022

Tractor
Massey Fergerson 165
New topost, thanks in advace for help. i am a real newbie when it comes to tractors, so here goes. I have a 165 MF which runs fine in 1st gear low , but when i try and run it in high gear or even 3 gear low it has no power, anybody have any idea why, could it be a clogged fuel filter. its is diesal, if it is how do you change them and bleed? i ran out of diesal once and almost never got it started. Also ithe bucket on front end loader hydraclics really leaks, is there any help with this ...thanks...enjoy the website

/ problems with my 165 MF #2  
Here's what my MF135 troubleshooting guide says for "loss of power"

Plugged fuel filter
Worn rings, pistons, sleeves, burned or sticking valves
Faulty injection pump governor action
Faulty throttle or governor linkage
Blown head gasket
Brakes dragging
Improper valve adjustment
Connecting rod or main bearings too tight
Clogged air cleaner
Fuel shut-off linkage incorrect
Faulty pump timing

Does your 165 have the multipower transmission? My 135 MP is stuck in low range so I only get 6F/2R gears instead of the 12F/4R that MP provides.

What's leaking on your FEL hydraulics--the hose fittings, the cylinders (rams) or both? Hose and hose fittings are easy to replace. Leaking cylinders need rebuilding, but that's no big deal.

Good luck.

/ problems with my 165 MF
thanks flusher, i will start with fuel filters and air cleaner. my mf is multipower transmission. on the hydraulics leak is the rams, is this something most people can do themselves, is there a product that will help slowdown the leak? also do you know where i can get a manuel...thanks for all your help

/ problems with my 165 MF
Hey flusher how do you tell what year your MF is, i dont see any dates anywhere its a MF Multipower 165....thanks

/ problems with my 165 MF #5  
on the hydraulics leak is the rams, is this something most people can do themselves, is there a product that will help slowdown the leak?

No is the answer on adding goop to the hydraulic fluid. The hydraulic cylinders are a piston and a sleeve. There are seals on the piston and some form of seal where the end cap goes on the sleeve. The hardest part usually is unscrewing the caps! You will need part numbers for the seals or.....take the cylinders off and get them to a reputable hydraulic shop and they will make them right for good price. A shop will also check for nicks in the shaft and correct which if not done will eat the new seals in short order.

Bleeding the fuel line is not a big deal. There are different procedures for different machines but if all else fails, loosen the fuel pipes at the top of each injector and pump until you have pure fuel from each, and retighten. Fill the new filter, as best you can, to eliminate as much air as possible.

/ problems with my 165 MF #6  
Hey flusher how do you tell what year your MF is, i dont see any dates anywhere its a MF Multipower 165....thanks

My 135 is a 1964. There should be a plate with the serial number for your tractor. On my 135 that plate is on the battery tray. You have to remove the air filter canister to see it. Don't know where it would be on your 165 if it isn't on the dashboard or on the battery tray.

/ problems with my 165 MF #7  
thanks flusher, i will start with fuel filters and air cleaner. my mf is multipower transmission. on the hydraulics leak is the rams, is this something most people can do themselves, is there a product that will help slowdown the leak? also do you know where i can get a manuel...thanks for all your help

I've repaired hydraulic rams on my wheel disc and on my grain drill. No problem unless you run into parts that have rusted together. Then it can be a struggle.

MF is owned by Agco. You can get manuals on line there. Paper copies and CDs are usually available on eBay.

AGCO | Massey Ferguson

You can also try this website for manuals:

Manuals.us

Good luck.