Problems with zinc or copper when storing diesel?

/ Problems with zinc or copper when storing diesel? #1  

lynrob

Tractor
Kubota L4740, MF65, Gehl 4610
I recently bought a used fuel storage tank (700 gal) and am in the process of setting it up for diesel. The tank is in good shape (although it could use a coat of paint) and was previously used to store gasoline. I have been researching how to best store diesel long term and ran across several references to accelerated aging that can result from storing diesel in contact with zinc or copper or alloys containing them. This link, long_term_storage_diesel.pdf, from BP states that "These metals will quickly react with diesel fuel to form unstable compounds.".

I am wondering how much of a problem this is since most of filter top caps that I have found seem to be made of cast zinc and most of the shut-off valves I have seen used on storage tanks are brass with everything connected with galvanized piping.

If I fill this tank (it kills me to think about doing it now with the price so high but with what is happening in the mid-east, these prices might seem low a few months from now) it will last me about a year between my tractor and Duramax. So, for now at least, I am not talking super long term storage. Still, I plan to treat it with pri-D to provide a little extra stability.

I think one can get stainless ball valves and I could use black pipe for the fittings, but I am not sure if I even need to worry about it. Anyone know how severe the potential problems might be if a diesel storage system has zinc or copper components?

Thanks!

/ Problems with zinc or copper when storing diesel? #2  
I would not worry about it. Every farmer around here has everything from brass to galvanized fittings making up the fuel delivery systems at the farms.

I could see it being a issue if you were talking a entire tank made from one or the other but just the little ball valve should not be a issue. Plus you are going to be filling up weekly or so in your truck so the fuel that is touching that area directly will be flushed out very often.

Chris

/ Problems with zinc or copper when storing diesel? #3  
It's up to you but unless you're driving your tractor on the road or you plan to use very little fuel in it you may want to think about running off road diesel and saving some money. Brass is primarily what the valve on the bottom of a fuel oil tank is made of so when I added a quick disconnect to the fuel like on my transfer pump I saved money by buying brass over stainless. I haven't had any issues yet.

/ Problems with zinc or copper when storing diesel? #4  
1*I recently bought a used fuel storage tank (700 gal) and am in the process of setting it up.
I have been researching how to best store diesel long term and ran across several references to
2*accelerated aging that can result from storing diesel in contact with zinc or copper or alloys containing them.

I am wondering how much of a problem this is since most of filter top caps that I have found seem to be made of cast zinc and most of the shut-off valves
I have seen used on storage tanks are brass with everything connected with
3* galvanized piping.

4*If I fill this tank it will last me about a year between my tractor and Duramax. So, for now at least, I am not talking super long term storage.
5*Still, I plan to treat it with pri-D to provide a little extra stability.

6*I think one can get stainless ball valves and I could use black pipe for the fittings, but I am not sure if I even need to worry about it.
7*Anyone know how severe the potential problems might be if a diesel storage system has zinc or copper components?
1*If the tank isn't galvanized I wouldn't worry about it.
Galvanized is the only thing I've heard about harming diesel stored in it.
2*All of my fittings valves and other piping are either brass,black pipe, or copper to avoid Galvanized.
Galvanized is the only thing I have heard or read about on T B N warning not to store diessl in it in spite of being one of the most active members on here for 6 years.
3*I use copper brass or black pipe with out any problems.
4*Why do you want to store so much fuel for your tractor?
You do know It's aganst the law to run red fuel in your Duramax don't you?
5*I prefer Power Service.
Never heard anyone mention pri-D before.
6*I use copper or brass ball valves and black pipe fittings .
7*I never heard the question asked before;but have built a couple of diesel storage stations using the materials you mention with out a problem .
~ ~ ~ ~

Last edited:
   / Problems with zinc or copper when storing diesel?
Thanks for the feedback. I am not going to worry anymore about the occassional use of a brass fitting in my fuel system based on what you guys have said.

I am aware of the restrictions on using red fuel and don't plan to use it since I will be using the stored fuel for both my tractor and my pickup. Although I haven't done it yet, I understand that in Oregon you can apply for a refund for taxes spent for on-road diesel used for off-road purposes. So if I keep track of how much my tractor uses I can apply for a refund for that amount of fuel.

I think that pri-D is similar to Power Service. Having never used either one, I just read about each online and happend to choose pri-D but I could have easily gone either way.

As far as the amount of fuel I am planning to store... Well, we depend a lot on our tractor to run our little farm and I am concerned about the availability and price of fuel so the storage tank is a bit of an insurance policy. I realize it won't last forever, but if the sh** does hit the fan it will give me a buffer.

It seems to me that we are heading into a perfect storm of sorts. The economy (specifically the devaluation of the dollar), the worsening geo-political climate worldwide, the increased demand for energy in third world nations, and the present administration's resistance to developing domestic sources of energy all seem to point to big time inflation and overall instability coming up and I just want to be as prepared as I can. :confused2:

I know it's not much, but at least I'll be able to drive my tractor for a while the world crumbles around me. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for all of your help gentlemen.

/ Problems with zinc or copper when storing diesel? #6  
Do not store diesel fuel in galvanized containers because the fuel can dissolve the zinc coating, which can then remain in solution, as flakes, until deposited in the pump or injectors.

He is talking a few fittings between the tank and the filter. Not a tank.

Chris

/ Problems with zinc or copper when storing diesel? #7  
1*I am aware of the restrictions on using red fuel and don't plan to use it since I will be using the stored fuel for both my tractor and my pickup.
2*Although I haven't done it yet, I understand that in Oregon you can apply for a refund for taxes spent for on-road diesel used for off-road purposes.
3*So if I keep track of how much my tractor uses I can apply for a refund for that amount of fuel.
4*As far as the amount of fuel I am planning to store... Well, we depend a lot on our tractor to run our little farm and I am concerned about the availability and price of fuel so the storage tank is a bit of an insurance policy.
5*I know it's not much, but at least I'll be able to drive my tractor for a while the world crumbles around me. :thumbsup:

1*The great thing about both of these systems is either one allows you to store both on road and off road fuel at the same time. I really love that feature.
2*I have heard over and over again that I could do that here in Ohio but I have never been able to pull it off in my state and or the rules were to complex making it usless to even apply.
3*That can become more of a hassle than it's worth.
4*What do you use the most fuel in tractor or Pick up ?
I would adjust the method you have so it would accommodate/store both fuels at once.
5*Make it a dual storage system and save some money while you will be able to drive your tractor for an even longer period of time before the world crumbles around you.