Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install

/ Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install #11  
kingjames8283, Do you know or can you tell if the tractor had/has Bio Diesel in the tank ??

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install
Ranch hand, no there have been no incidents of Bio-Diesel with this tractor. The owner purchased it brand new in 2005 and since we do not have Bio-Diesel available to the general public in my area the likelihood of that are absolutely nill. Now at the truck stop where I park my semi's, we have bio-diesel imported from Illinois and mix at a ratio of 20% for road use trucks however the owner has never purchase any kind of fuels from that station. I don't think Pilot or Flying J in my area are using bio yet.

When we cut that factory fuel line in half, the interior of the hose was mushy and broken. I've never seen anything like it. All rubber/steel braided fuel lines on this tractor I'm working on have the same condition and all will have to be replaced. I'm using a chemical rated nylon tubing with new modified ends but currently waiting for special metric to American s.a.e conversion fittings so I can put it together. I found a company in Ohio that specialized with metric conversion fittings and I will probably get fittings from them. Then in future if whoever owns this tractor needs a fuel line, all they do is take it off and run it to their hose shop and have one made however these nylon fuel lines will last a very long time.

Anyone having one of these Chinese tractors with rubber inside steel braided fuel lines, if you think you have a fuel injection pump going out and tractor won't start, replace fuel filter first then check your fuel hoses. Take them off tractor and try and blow breath air through them. Air (Not Shop Air) should easily pass through hose. If it does not replace all fuel hoses at that time. You can take the chance of the same thing happening again if you order factory replacement hoses or do like me and modify your fuel hoses with nylon tubing intended for fuel delivery. Make sure inside diameter of tube is a minimum 3/8" and nothing smaller, larger if you have a bigger engine with more cylinders. Both my semi trucks use 1/2" inside diameter tubing. 3/8th's will work on most tractor engines. When choosing brass end fittings, only use long fittings because vibration will damage fuel hose if you use the short brass fittings. Also on brass fittings, make sure through opening is 1/4" or larger so not to restrict fuel flow.

If your tractor stops running check fuel supply first and proper type fuel. Second replace fuel filter and never empty a fuel filter and put it back on. A word about fuel filters for diesel engines, if they clog up great. That means they did their job and saved your engine. The reason for fuel filter failure is because of whats inside the fuel tank. Don't be thrifty with fuel filters. Spend the $10 and get a brand new one and a spare. If those steps fail then check your fuel hoses and finally fuel injection pump. Learn from my mistakes and don't repeat them.

/ Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install #13  
Not doubting what you are saying,but I think something got put in the fuel tank to breakdown the rubber in the fuel lines, the reason Ranch hand is asking about the Bio-diesel is we just had a customer that has a 5-year old Jinma tractor that has not had any problems until he put Bio diesel in and it did the same thing as the tractor you are working on.He put OEM lines back on it,new filters and no problems since .The chinese rubber is not the best,but there are thousands of these tractors and others using them everyday.I would like to have the source for the nylon hose and fitting.Keep us posted on the progress,sounds like you are close to finishing it up.The friends and customers don't always tell you everything,we got a diesel tractor last year that was full of gasoline ,when we asked the customer about it,he said his wife must have put the wrong fuel in.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install #14  
I was typing away, only to find Tommy beat me to it. So rather than post completely redundant material, I'll just say that I agree 100% with that diagnosis. Back in '05, something almost certainly went into that fuel tank that ate the hoses from the inside out.

//greg//

/ Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install #15  
Bio diesel will eat Chinese fuel lines and so will some fuel conditioners like Fleet Guard brand sold under many names. If one figures more is better and dumps it to the fuel, lines will eat from inside out. I saw 2 that had a additive like stabil for gas put in the fuel for long term parking, it ate those lines so bad they were hanging from the tractor and they weren't Chinese hoses.

/ Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install
Guys, sorry for being so long in getting back to thread. You are all correct in that something somewhere got put in the tank that ate away at those fuel lines. What, who and how may never be known but it's not important at this stage. The lines I'm switching to are high pressure hydraulic lines with nylon lining inside the tubing intended for chemicals. I'm using a JIC fitting for joining new fuel line to tractor but am still waiting on special adapters to go between where banjo bolts used to be and the new lines. I'm looking for a 5/16" JIC Male to a 12mm X 1.5 Metric Male with o-ring. The new line spec'd by me on the spot will last for many years, and the pressed fittings on the new line ends resist vibration and subsequent failure due to vibration. The shop I dealt with is Complete Hydraulics in Franklin, IN. It took some time but we finally came up with a tubing I liked and the fittings I thought appropriate for the application. Initially the JIC adapter he sold us had a S.A.E male end which obviously can't work on a metric tractor. So I did some research and found the correct adapters with the correct threads and pitch. Now I just have to find them.

As for the low-pressure return line from injection pump and injector nozzles back to tank I will keep the existing check-valve and banjo fittings but have old hoses cut off and new nylon tubing crimped back on the old fittings. Reason being is the check-valve must remain for injection pump to operate correctly and I don't know the value of the spring inside the check-valve to modify it at this point. At either rate it will work and function according to tractor manufacturer specs.

I have worked with high-pressure systems for years and understand the inherent dangers that accompany such systems. My modifications of these systems are not drop of the hat, split second decisions. A lot of thought and research goes into my idea's to ensure fit, function, longevity, safety and ease of use or service of same. With that said, let me see if I can figure out how to make a meatloaf, ok just kidding. McDonalds doesn't serve meatloaf.

/ Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install #17  
First I ever heard of this,,how about power service,it must not be hard on fuel lines? thingy

/ Progress Update on 2i70 Fuel-Inj install #18  
so whats the verdict on this one, is it running yet?