PSA Tractor Jacks

/ PSA Tractor Jacks #1  

DABit

Tractor
John Deere 4052M
I just wanted to remind the old guys and educate the new guys to the dangers of tractor jacks or high lift jacks. These jacks are a very useful tool. I have owned the same one for over thirty years. I use it for all kinds of jobs. ie.. lifting tractors and trailers, pulling T post and other post, bush removal etc. HOWEVER they can be very DANGEROUS. They can become unstable with the load lifted high and allow the lifted object to fall, the handle can come up quickly in many situations. Know where the handle is at all times and secure it. I write this for on Sept 26th of this year I amputated my left thumb at the last joint. Luckily for me one of the remaining hand surgeon in the US that replaces digits works in my area.
In my case the handle come up quickly and caught my thumb between it and the jack rail. I normally always raise the handle and reset the direction level with the toe of my boot but for some reason not this time.
The tractor jack is a very useful tool, but it can be dangerous. Use it with respect and be careful around it. When people ask what happened, almost all of them that have used one has a story about how the jack injured them.
Be safe and Happy Holidays to everyone.

/ PSA Tractor Jacks #2  
There are plenty of videos and stories of those jacks doing things unexpected. I always work slow with mine and am very careful. Agree, use it with respect.

/ PSA Tractor Jacks #3  
Lotta energy stored when a farm jack lifts something heavy way high up. We might picture a giant mouse trap.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Hey, sure sorry about your thumb. Those things happen, and there's no sure way to avoid all of them.

/ PSA Tractor Jacks #4  
Yeah, I hi-lift jack is probably the most dangerous tool to survive as long as it has....just goes to show how usefull they are. I can't think of another single tool that does as many jobs, but man do they like to remove teeth, fingers or rearrange faces.