PT-425 Delayed Shut Off

/ PT-425 Delayed Shut Off #1  

catsco

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425
Yesterday and today I noticed a new small 'challenge' with my PT-425 while clearing snow.

When I turn off the key, the motor runs for 2-3 seconds before stopping.

This is NOT "Run-On"; the motor is actually running.

I recall seeing somewhere a fuel shutoff (can't find the reference now, thought it might be in the Kohler book.)

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Right now, I'm at 433 hours (on the tractor; I have a few more hours on me!)

Thanks!
Mark H.

/ PT-425 Delayed Shut Off #2  
catsco said:
Yesterday and today I noticed a new small 'challenge' with my PT-425 while clearing snow.

This is NOT "Run-On"; the motor is actually running.

I recall seeing somewhere a fuel shutoff (can't find the reference now, thought it might be in the Kohler book.)

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Right now, I'm at 433 hours (on the tractor; I have a few more hours on me!)

Thanks!
Mark H.

On the Robin engine there are two things that turn off the engine. One is the fuel solenoid and the other is the wire which grounds the ignition coils when the key is off. My guess is that the in your case the fuel is cutting off, but the ignition is not. It takes a little time for the fuel to run out and so the engine keeps running until that happens. Check at the key switch and make sure that the wire that does this is still connected. Also verify that the swtich is still grounded and check that the wires are good back to the coil.

/ PT-425 Delayed Shut Off #3  
catsco said:

Mark H.

Sounds like a 'lazy' ignition switch. In the cold weather the contacts in the switch may stick briefly after the key is turned.

To confirm, warm the switch with a hair dryer until it is nice and warm. Then see if the delay disappears.

To cure, put some winter lock lube in the key hole.